• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boss seat review?

H

hogan assault

Feb 16, 2012
Alberta
I'm sure lots of people use the Boss seats but I have never owned one. Thinking about buying one. Worth the money? I'm 5'7 and always ride standing. Don't like a wide seat. Are there other options out there?
Thanks

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
First one I had years ago on my apex...GREAT product, never any issues at all fantastic build quality the whole shot, alas, the next one I bought was absolute crap....garbage zippers,horrible fitment, the whole shot, yeah they replaced it with a "improved model" still 3/4's crap, replaced again...better but still..................... so yeah many other better seats
out there IHMO

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I like the skinz freeride but there is no storage, wrp would be my second choice.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Agreed stay away from Boss seats all the zippers are broken on mine and its starting to fray on the sides. Mine fits pretty good though. If you find one for a really good deal take it otherwise stay away!

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
I've been stoked with the Skinz Free ride seat.

Image-2.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
3 bosses, two were customs on a RMK and a summit rev. They were good. The boss pro RMK seat I put on my 11, in 10, no so good:

+ Lots of storage. Too many compartments.
+ Width is perfect, narrow in front, wider where you sit. The 13 pro seat was modeled on the Boss, the width and length dimensions are almost exactly the same. Boss seats can be +1 higher than stock. Some don't like this. I don't have a problem with it, but I can still hop all over a sled pretty easily - I rode a summit for years.
+ Light enough, attachment system worked great 3 seasons, at least for me. Never came loose, and I kick the crap out of it.
+ Much shorter than the stock 11-12 - those were like swinging a leg over a long 2x4, and about as comfortable if you sat. Worst seat ever produced by an OEM.

- Biggest issue - the side material between your needs legs builds ice 'balls' where your knees rub after a couple hours in the pow. You ride the rest of the day with two ice packs between your knees, constantly pushing on the ice when you lean, or kick the crap out of the seat to break them up. This is SERIOUS downside, if you play in the deep alot. I've sprayed, coated, about the only thing that works is putting gorilla tape over the stupid fabric between your legs.
- Same material responsible for the above frays. Looks like 80's patagonia fleece.
- Zippers are fragile, at best, many have failed (this was the 10 subbed out seat for $350, supposedly better for those made in 11, but much more expensive in 11)
- Boss is the best example of No Customer Services in the industry. And that's saying alot - the sled biz has had their share of pirates and castaways.
- It's been stated here that Boss is not returning calls now. The golden goose may have been cooked and eaten. If you find a Boss seat you like, expect even less customer service, if that is possible.

I like the Skinz myself. I'm another never-again Boss customer. After 3 seats and +1500US. They self inflicted all their wounds.

Last edited:

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Im on my second season on a WRP highrise, i know alot of people go for the lower seats these days...but I am forced to ride sitting down and this seat is perfect!

The non slip surface does what it should even when it is very cold and the materials are very restistant. Very happy with it!

H

hogan assault

Feb 16, 2012
Alberta
I've been stoked with the Skinz Free ride seat.

Image-2.jpg
Nice looking sled! Thinking I'm going to stick with the stock seat, and under seat bag. I snowchecked a 2014 pro 163 with the gloss black color. Don't like the colors on the seat but cheap to buy a seat wrap. :beer;

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
Nice looking sled! Thinking I'm going to stick with the stock seat, and under seat bag. I snowchecked a 2014 pro 163 with the gloss black color. Don't like the colors on the seat but cheap to buy a seat wrap. :beer;

I feel ya there. Skinz seat is about 400 bones. My buddy got his stock seat cut down 2 inches, shortened up and wrapped by the local upholstery shop for $125 . Probably the route I will go next time to save a few $$$.

B

bobtaz13

Apr 1, 2012
I just got back from Cooke, it was my first ride on my BOSS seat. I loved it. I do have the older style that has the zipper issues, but i was still very happy with it.

While I was in Cooke the seat was stabbed with a knife (don't ask how, but my brother inlaw feels very bad about it). So i called BOSS and they are getting me a updated cover for a nice discount do to the zipper issue.

I will go back for my next seat to BOSS.

Premium Features