• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

unhook sway bar to carve down hill?

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I had a 2010 Summit and now have a 2014. The 2010 I disconnected the sway bar and thought it helped with sidehilling. I haven't touched the 2014 and like it the way it is. But we all have different riding styles we like. I would suggest riding it both on and off to determine what you like the best. It is a fast, easy change you can make on the hill if you want to mid day.

D

doopower

Sep 20, 2011
Lytton, IA
Carl Kuster told me at hay days to leave the swaybar hooked up unless you have aftermarket valved shocks. the sled with stock shocks is designed for a swaybar.

He also told me always keep the ski centered in the spindle because it helps hold the sled on edge.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I'm an intermediate rider. I wrecked so upgraded the shocks upon repair and it was recommended to unhook the sway bar. Rode it twice that way and hated it. Maybe a better rider would have a different opinion but I doubt I will unhook in the future.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
I'm guessing you'll have more than one chance at a downhill carve? So maybe just try it a few different ways and see what ya think

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Most doo guys I know that ran an XP before think the swaybar should be on, they seem to prefer it being harder to roll up. IMO someone coming from a pro, or another better handling chassis than the XP would want it out. I run without one, but I have floats. When I ran the stockers without the swaybar it worked just fine (I'm 190) but in general those shocks are valved fora child in the first place...

Put some shocks on (something Doo should do from the factory) and you'll like it without the swaybar.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Yeah I've traded up my 13' pro 155 for a 2015 summit x 154. I'm 185lbs. I guess I'll just have to try with and without. I'm sure I'll like each setup depending on situation.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Most doo guys I know that ran an XP before think the swaybar should be on, they seem to prefer it being harder to roll up. IMO someone coming from a pro, or another better handling chassis than the XP would want it out. I run without one, but I have floats. When I ran the stockers without the swaybar it worked just fine (I'm 190) but in general those shocks are valved fora child in the first place...

Put some shocks on (something Doo should do from the factory) and you'll like it without the swaybar.

Ive always been a no swaybar fan. Got the float 3's on my T3. What pressure are you running for a baseline without the swaybar? 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Like was said, no swaybar with stock shocks is going to be bad, it will bottom hard on sidehills, regardless of rider weight for the most part. (Unless you are very light.) The XM sleds are so easy to tip up, no reason to pull the bar.
I did the quick disconnect on my Freeride last year, in hard spring snow, and it was easier to tip around, but it got scary, I didn't like it. The shock would compress enough that when it punched through the snow, the ski would come back up at me and almost throw me over the bars. With the bar hooked up, it didn't do that at all.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ive always been a no swaybar fan. Got the float 3's on my T3. What pressure are you running for a baseline without the swaybar? 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny seeing both of us on doos... :D

I ended up settling on 43 last year, lower than I would have expected, but keep in mind I'm on alt impact arms, which changes the leverage ratio slightly.

Premium Features