• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone carry a shovel on their sled too?

Some days the digging is endless! I was wondering if any of you guys carry a shovel on your sled as well as in your pack. If you do could you please post your pics of how/where you shovel would sit? If you don't and have some ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Y
Nov 26, 2007
i think all riders should carry a shovel. i carry one in a pack sometimes or on the rack out back.they can be a great aid if stuck but also if you ever had to spend the night in the mountains for whatever reason,a shovel would be invaluable. my even has a saw in the handle. another great tool is a snowbungie.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I have a folding shovel made by Gerber that stays in the seat pouch on my Escape and also carry a shovel in my pack. I find myself going for the one in my sled most times because its more convenient than taking the pack off.

31E7AGG99ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the one I carry, has a nice nylon carrying pouch and folds down to a good size. I've carried it in both my 01 Gen2 RMK and my 03 and while its a tight squeeze, it will slide into the seat pouch.

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
I always have a shovel on sled, but atleast in the powder, I shovel less and less every year,,, depending on the stuck - if relatively flat and deep - I usually kick out the snow from under the running boards, and make a little track by walking in front of the sled as a little launch pad, and then slide under the belly pan on your back and kick snow up against the track so it has a firm spot to grab, then a little throttle and it'll usually climbs up and gets enough speed off the bump to get me out,,, If pointed up a steep hill, then kick out one side and pull her around by a ski so gravity will help you out,,,, so only about 1 out of 20 powder stucks will I bother to start digging with shovel,,,
but ya, in hard pack or firm snow (which I don't like much), I have to dig out with shovel, a 162" threnched in to hard snow is pretty anchored as far as pulling it around by a ski,,, Powder, hardly ever use one,,, A bud on a ski loop always helps a ton too,,, If trees are involved, specially if impaled pointing down into a tree/well, that's where "buddies" come in handy,,, they usually want to take pics of the real good ones before they help you ;) May have to negotiate a beer for the real ugly ones,,,

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
One day I was laughing at a guy that had strapped a big grain scoop shovel to his sled, an hour later as I crawled up out of the hole I was digging, with my little backpack avy shovel, I was wishing I had the big one along with me!

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Always carry a shovel in my tunnel bag on the sled (a metal one in case of needing to dig hard snow like in an avalanche) and another in my backpack. Also carry snobungie, food, medical stuff, leatherman, different things to start fires with, flares, flashlight and other essentials in my backpack.:D

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Did last season, Polaris shovel on the shovel rack on the back. I've since broken that plastic rack and the shovel, got a cargo net where it was. I really should have a second shovel for as much as I get stuck.

G

Gimpster

I have a folding shovel made by Gerber that stays in the seat pouch on my Escape and also carry a shovel in my pack. I find myself going for the one in my sled most times because its more convenient than taking the pack off.

31E7AGG99ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the one I carry, has a nice nylon carrying pouch and folds down to a good size. I've carried it in both my 01 Gen2 RMK and my 03 and while its a tight squeeze, it will slide into the seat pouch.

Not a bad idea !!
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=gerber+shovel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

----- Gimpster -----

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
Two guys I rode with in Cooke City last year had them mounted on their hoods. I dunno if they scratched it up but it seemed to work for them.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
One in a pack and one under the hood of a REV.

thats what i had now i have a new xp and i never wore a pack. is it a pain to take your pack off all the time to get shovel. i'am gonna pull the trigger and get abs and don't want to take pack off all the time.

T
Nov 30, 2007
Two guys I rode with in Cooke City last year had them mounted on their hoods. I dunno if they scratched it up but it seemed to work for them.

You would think they could find somewhere to mount it in that big hood :D

I put the scoop part of it under my pipe and the handle part through my spare belt, handle up.... on my xp

T
Apr 1, 2008
Bend, OR
Why carry it on my back? I let the sled do the work. I have always kept one in the engine bay, wedged in along the clutch side. Stays in great and i don't have to have extra weight on my back.

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I bought one from home depot for around 10 bucks. The handle is removable from the scoop part. On my pro-x I put the handle in the belt holder on the clutch shield and lay the scoop on top of it. When you shut the hood it holds the scoop in place. I put the belt in the front under the little alm. brace thingys. It works good, doesn't move, and is cheap.

Premium Features