• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the Pro- what tools do you carry?

T
Dec 7, 2013
Hello-

I'm hoping to tap into the collective knowledge bank here.

I'm a life-long dirt biker, but after moving to a new area, I am switching to mountain bikes in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter.

I was always the guy in our DB group that had my bike dialed in, and carried enough tools to fix most anything on my bike, as well as help out others on the trail. I had my tool kit down to a science- it gave me everything I needed, without anything extra, to save weight. I refined this kit over years of riding, but I am hoping to cut to the front of the line for my new Pro.:face-icon-small-hap

Sooo, would anyone be willing to share their tool kits with me? Or if there is a thread that already goes over this, could someone direct me to it? I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything, but maybe I wasn't using the right search terms??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Best way to figure out a tool kit for yourself is too remove a few easy parts on the sled ie. side panels and hood and have a look around.

A good start would be a 3/8 ratchet, 3/8 extension, 3/8 socket set from 8mm to 19mm. Meteric alan key set. 3/8 torx bit set. Select metric wrenchs like 10,13,15 and 17 (to conserve space). Vise grips, needle nose pliers, side cutters, cresent wrench, exactoknife and so forth.

I always like to carry electrical tape, little bit of hay wire and zip ties.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
a shovel and a back brace for getting your buddies unstuck
when they try and follow you :face-icon-small-hap

OK OK OK what he said ^^^
both types of screw drivers ,allens ,torqs ,spare belt ,spare QD belt
QD belt tools , leatherman, random wrenches,spring puller, zipties,tow rope
tape ,bailing wire etc...

there's some ideas i know thats alot of stuff but if your the prepared guy in the group its nice to have options
we usually spread the random tools through out the group
good luck

oh and your gonna love that PRO its the dirt bike of the snowmobiles :face-icon-small-win

T
Dec 7, 2013
a shovel and a back brace for getting your buddies unstuck
when they try and follow you :face-icon-small-hap

OK OK OK what he said ^^^
both types of screw drivers ,allens ,torqs ,spare belt ,spare QD belt
QD belt tools , leatherman, random wrenches,spring puller, zipties,tow rope
tape ,bailing wire etc...

there's some ideas i know thats alot of stuff but if your the prepared guy in the group its nice to have options
we usually spread the random tools through out the group
good luck

oh and your gonna love that PRO its the dirt bike of the snowmobiles :face-icon-small-win

Great tips- thanks to everyone.

Any specialty items that you might not think of? IE- I heard someone saying you needed a #40 Torx for the hood on one particular sled.

Aside from belts, what are the common things that might come up on the trail with this sled?

And you're right- I love it already. I had a Summit 800 last year and it is so night-and-day in a different league it's not even funny.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
the tool you need for removing the Pro hood is in the tool kit
i forgot spark plugs and shovel+sawblade ,fire starter, knife first aid kit
water is something people forget maybe cause its cold ? i don't know

another thing to keep in mind is what changes you might wanna make/try
while in the hills or mods that may have been just done
like clutching changes or skid adj. etc.

so in that case you would want the tools that you might need to adress
those parts and pieces hope that makes sense
let it snow

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Swap out the plastic push pins with plastic screw types, available at ACE, e.g., and carry some spares. Extra exhaust springs, Y's are different P/N, FWIW.

T
Dec 7, 2013
Swap out the plastic push pins with plastic screw types, available at ACE, e.g., and carry some spares. Extra exhaust springs, Y's are different P/N, FWIW.

Sorry- the newb factor is very high. What are the push pins you are referring to? I get the exhaust springs. Again, what are the "Y's" you are referring to.

Sorry to be dense about this. Trying to learn about the sled as quickly as I can. This is the exact kind of info I am looking for. Unfortunately just not up to speed yet with all the terminology and little parts.

Thank you for your response!

Sneak A Peak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2013
Washington State
I have been troling this thread for accouple days now hoping to catch anything i have missed. I have a new Pro in the Garage and am currently creating a tool kit and survival kit so i do not have to take the them out of the other sled.

Here is what i have so far as far as the tool kit goes:
started with this tool kit
http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Mot...6718&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=pit+possy+tool+kit

Removed the tire repair kit, tire irons, and PSI gauge and put them in my dirt bike fanny pack. Side note - Was really impressed with the quality of tools. and it fits really nice in the under seat bag.

Have added so far:
quick drive installation tools
zip ties
telecoping magnit
dikes
torx set
1/4 drive ratchet and metric sockets
duct tape
parachute line (rope)

Still need:
Extra hood bolt
extra polaris fasteners
extra exhaust spring
extra spark plugs
more wrenches? do i need someting bigger than 14? i guess that is some homework i need to do.

So, have i missed anything essential that should also be carried? Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

I will likey post someting similar regarding the survival kit/supplies that i will be loading in the backpack. Another section is most likey more approprate for that information.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
A must is a wrench to fit the lock nut on the secondary clutch so you can adjust belt deflection. you also need the Allan key. Sorry can't remember the sizes.

Also I carry a 6' x 8', fairly thick tarp in the bottom of my tunnel bag. it accomplishes a few things.

1. it pads the junk bouncing around in the bag so the tunnel does not get dented.

2. It can be used for an emergency blanket or shelter.

3. It can be tied under a sled as a sleigh when the track locks up.

This is a very important item in an emergency.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
If its a new Pro with a quick drive belt you may want to get the tool which makes it much easier to change said belt.

*I see Wellfed mentioned it earlier.

Last edited:
T
Dec 7, 2013
If its a new Pro with a quick drive belt you may want to get the tool which makes it much easier to change said belt.

*I see Wellfed mentioned it earlier.

Thank you. I read a thread talking about chamfering the shaft end/ pulley for ease of install too- would this tip apply to the '15 Pro?

Thanks again for all the great advice from everyone!

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
A few things I always have.
1.Small roll of Duct/Gorilla tape- broken windshields, body panels, ext...
2.Rescue tape-a ton of uses, sealing leaking coolant hoses, electrical tape
3.Zip lock bag- keep extra gloves dry, hold water, bolts, liquid
4.Toilet paper- also kept in zip lock bag
5.Small flash light

Sled overheated and coolant leak out on me once, I was able to repair a pin hole coolant leak with rescue tape, used hot engine to melt snow and the zip lock bag to catch water out of the bottom of sled to refill coolant. I was able to ride the rest of the day. I had to flush coolant when I got home of course.

B
Jan 4, 2008
Bend, Or.
Thank you. I read a thread talking about chamfering the shaft end/ pulley for ease of install too- would this tip apply to the '15 Pro?

Thanks again for all the great advice from everyone!

It's still beneficial to do this on the 15's as it make the job of installing the Quickdrive belt much easier

I also like to carry a 50' length of high strength webbing which has many uses it is available from a variety of sporting goods stores

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Not really a tool but for for water I usually take 3 bottles and I also have a canteen with an aluminum canteen cup that fits over the bottom of the canteen. It can be used as mentioned above to melt snow and refill coolant or for drinking water if you get stranded.

Another option for webbing/ cordage is Mule Tape. It's really high strength, packs very compact. Can be used for a lot of things including sled recovery if someone drops into a creek or similar.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Sorry- the newb factor is very high. What are the push pins you are referring to? I get the exhaust springs. Again, what are the "Y's" you are referring to.

Sorry to be dense about this. Trying to learn about the sled as quickly as I can. This is the exact kind of info I am looking for. Unfortunately just not up to speed yet with all the terminology and little parts.

Thank you for your response!

I'm sorry. Short on time when trolling threads, sometimes.

The pins I was referring to are used for securing the hood to the console, there are two, one on each side. The male ends are levered up with a screwdriver, the female end rests in the console. They are also used elsewhere on the console, but are a PITA if you lose one, or they get froze in the field and you want to take your hood off. Ace Hardware sells a similar male/female pin, but it has a Phillips head, that turns out for removal. For installation you just push it in. Just easier, and extras help.

The Y is the Y-pipe springs, and the pipe to can springs, which are a different P/N than the can retainers springs. In a pinch, either will work, but they are different for permanent replacement. Just handy to have in the backcountry, especially if there are only two peeps, and less machines to borrow parts from.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have been troling this thread for accouple days now hoping to catch anything i have missed. I have a new Pro in the Garage and am currently creating a tool kit and survival kit so i do not have to take the them out of the other sled.

parachute line (rope) Mule tape works great also. Electricians use it to pull wires through conduit.

Still need:
Extra hood bolt
extra polaris fasteners
extra exhaust spring
extra spark plugs
more wrenches? do i need someting bigger than 14? The suspension and track adjustment bolts are 15 mm. i guess that is some homework i need to do.

These are some of the things that I noticed in here also.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Allen pack, parachute cord, knipex pliers, knife, saw, small pulley attached to carabiner helps pull dead sleds easier. This is in addition to the factory stuff. Sure I am forgetting something

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Boxter ! good call
i can't believe i forgot mountain $ (TP):face-icon-small-dis
and zip lock bags are super handy for keeping dry stuff dry or wet stuff off dry stuff
i got turned onto parchment paper for the muffpot works great
and beats cooking in turkey bags or tinfoil

Premium Features