• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain sled horse power.

M
Sep 15, 2014
Not trying to start a big war but I am wondering what's the horse power rating of a 2014 summit and 2014 pro rmk.

I've read 164hp for the summit and 160 the rmk?

M
Sep 15, 2014
If the machines are only 4hp away from each other then why do lots of guys say the summit is so much more powerful. I doubt 95% of guys can even feel a 4hp difference.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The Etec has more horse power. It's noticeable when riding it. The Pro RMK is very effective at putting it's horse power to the ground in the back country. Properly set up they are close enough and both fun to ride.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Polaris is making an art of getting rid of the rotating mass. one reason the Poo feels so light and has good response.
I want to see the other brands with belt drive system. Power to weight, rotating mass, two to the big marvels of a good sled.

Just my thoughts,
So back to the HP if there is only 4 HP differance in these 3 brands, what is the trick.
XP Summit said it, getting the power to the snow. The weight is not a big deal, but the Rotating mass is, IMO ..

I love it when marketing has come to fishing storys on there HP and there Weight.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Another thing to muddy the waters is where the peak power is in the power curve and how the torque curve compares to that HP curve. remember torque is the pull you feel not HP.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If the machines are only 4hp away from each other then why do lots of guys say the summit is so much more powerful. I doubt 95% of guys can even feel a 4hp difference.

I'd say more like 100%, had an 11 pro then a 12 etec now a 15 pro, with a better power to weight ratio I'd say the advantage for power goes to the pro. The etec motor in my opinion is the best on the market, direct injection is a generation ahead of poo and cat. Weight in the trees is king and poo is a generation or 2 ahead in that department. With the 16 poo's rumored to be sub 400 with the ho motor cat and doo are going to have to make some HUGE advances.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
doos have 164 advertised, poos have not enough!

They are advertised at that, so they technically cannot have less, or else its false advertising and they could be sued..... They apparently got into a bunch of trouble 10+ yrs ago or so for advertising that the sled had more power than it actually did. Its just like the muscle cars of the '70s. Everything had more power than advertised for insurance purposes. Same idea is applied here.

I have been told by my mechanic that the etec is pulling 170+ at the crank. From dyno tests!

The poos use to be 144hp at one time and i think they are 148hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I'd say more like 100%, had an 11 pro then a 12 etec now a 15 pro, with a better power to weight ratio I'd say the advantage for power goes to the pro. The etec motor in my opinion is the best on the market, direct injection is a generation ahead of poo and cat. Weight in the trees is king and poo is a generation or 2 ahead in that department. With the 16 poo's rumored to be sub 400 with the ho motor cat and doo are going to have to make some HUGE advances.

Sub 400, Wow. Guys are having a hard time doing that with carbon fiber and titanum. and with a huge price tag.

the HO motor, but will it be more than the cat or the doo. high out put motor may only mean high out put to polaris. and still may fall short of the cat and the doo.
Ill fall over if they go sub 400 lbs, we are breaking enough stuff with the weight they are now.
But one can dream, heck I may have to switch back!!!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Sub 400, Wow. Guys are having a hard time doing that with carbon fiber and titanum. and with a huge price tag.

Ill fall over if they go sub 400 lbs, we are breaking enough stuff with the weight they are now.

Well you better get some padding ready because it will happen with a 155 next year when the RMK moves to the AXYS chassis. They cut 38 pounds from the Pro-Ride chassis Rush to the AXYS chassis Rush. I was told by a Polaris engineer at the West Yellowstone Expo this year that approximately 15 pounds of that was just in the rear suspension. That gives them an easy 20 pounds on the rest of the chassis.

So the 155" PRO is already at 417 dry ....... 399 or less is just around the bend!!! :becky:

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Well you better get some padding ready because it will happen with a 155 next year when the RMK moves to the AXYS chassis. They cut 38 pounds from the Pro-Ride chassis Rush to the AXYS chassis Rush. I was told by a Polaris engineer at the West Yellowstone Expo this year that approximately 15 pounds of that was just in the rear suspension. That gives them an easy 20 pounds on the rest of the chassis.

So the 155" PRO is already at 417 dry ....... 399 or less is just around the bend!!! :becky:

Wow! that could be impressive!! I cant wait to see it. I hope they hold up. Polaris is leading on the edge. they will have to prove they have a sled that will hold up to the day in and day out punishment I put them through. they are on the back burner tell then. they are moving in all the right directions for sure. Just need to pull it all together..

Premium Features