• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel tank recall?? How to remove fuel tank?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I am wanting to know a little more about the fuel tank recall.. I noticed today that mine is cracked around the cap area so its leaking a little.. What was the recall for? How do I know if it has or hasnt already been repaired with the replacement tank? If this repair isnt covered and I have to replace the tank myself, How hard is it to remove and what if any special tools do I need?

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I don't know what the recal was for as it was already done when I got mine. I would check with a good dealer nearby and ask them if they will cover it under warranty. (good luck)
It is pretty simple to remove. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool set which you can pick up from Napa or the like for under 15$ Remove the console, remove the rear compartment and unbolt the tank, use the disconnect tools to pop the lines apart and disconnect the wiring connector and it will slide out.

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
so mine is cracked around this filler neck.. Is there anyway I can tell if this was a replacement tank or if it is still covered under the recall warranty?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho

How is this tool even used?? Will I need to relieve the pressure in the line prior to disconnecting the lines?

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the fuel lines being disconnected and the process for doing so?

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
There's 2 lines that need to be disconnected. The one with the fuel filter attatched right behind the secondary clutch towards the engine and the second is the supply line coming out of the tank. The tool pushes down some tabs that connect the metal fuel lines and you just pull them apart. A little bit of pressure will relieve when you disconnect the lines, most of the pressure is in the fuel rail. You may have to prime the pump to get to pressurize the lines when done.

P

polhiker

Nov 2, 2002
Chinook,montana
take thew vin # to a dealer and they can tell if it was ever done,and it should be still covered as my dealer just did one for us.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the tank yourself I'd call Carl's Cycle or another dealer closest to you and see if the recall was done and if not see if they will still do it.

I think they wrote the date my tank was replaced on my tank under the seat either that or the replacement tank was dated with white marker I think. Also you might have a sticker with a date on your original air box but like said above you'd need to pull your vin# to see if it's been done for sure.

Last edited:
G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
It is super easy to disconnect them and with the tools in-hand you will understand what to do. Also, just disconnect the fittings closest to the tank. Check the 05 manual also

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Wonder if I could talk them into putting an 09 tank on mine? lol i'll pay for a new seat! haha

I don't think it has been successfully done yet but it would be tough beans. The fuel lines are different as well as overall shape. The newer tanks don't have the room for all our wiring in front of them either.

This has been discussed for adapting the newer trail-tank extra large tanks to an IQ along with using the newer seat.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I don't think it has been successfully done yet but it would be tough beans. The fuel lines are different as well as overall shape. The newer tanks don't have the room for all our wiring in front of them either.

This has been discussed for adapting the newer trail-tank extra large tanks to an IQ along with using the newer seat.

And those posts have now been moved to the trail tank thread....:beer;:beer;

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I found out today, mine had already been complete.. Now I have to do it myself..:mad:

Premium Features