• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tunnel reinforcements please help

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
I have a 2015 rmk le 155 at the dealer, I am told they can't get polaris tunnel reinforcements to fit this sled, yet the website item # 2878178 will fit my 2011 rmk assault and 2015 pro rmk 155??? I thought the boards changed since 2011? is this just a polaris typeo ? if anyone knows the correct part # for the2015 rmk le155 please post it, thanks

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I have a 2015 rmk le 155 at the dealer, I am told they can't get polaris tunnel reinforcements to fit this sled, yet the website item # 2878178 will fit my 2011 rmk assault and 2015 pro rmk 155??? I thought the boards changed since 2011? is this just a polaris typeo ? if anyone knows the correct part # for the2015 rmk le155 please post it, thanks

Those dont fit 2013 and newer sleds. Those are for the old boards.

The tunnel reinforcements people are running now for the front of the tunnel arnt made by polaris. Ftx, kurts, vei, kmod and so on.

#canadastrong

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
yep, they don’t fit. i bought a set and had to take them back to the dealer 60 miles away:face-icon-small-sad

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Polaris improved the tunnel bracing for 2013 and newer as I recall and the whole thing is really blown out of proportion by the aftermarket guys pointing at all the kinked tunnels on the '11's. Unless you're a big-time hucker, I wouldn't bother. I even send my '11 pretty good and haven't had any issues but I'm pretty good at matching the landing transitions.

Have FUN!

G MAN

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Polaris improved the tunnel bracing for 2013 and newer as I recall and the whole thing is really blown out of proportion by the aftermarket guys pointing at all the kinked tunnels on the '11's. Unless you're a big-time hucker, I wouldn't bother. I even send my '11 pretty good and haven't had any issues but I'm pretty good at matching the landing transitions.

Have FUN!

G MAN

There is a lot of good stuff on this forum, and there is a lot of stuff blown out of proportion just in general.

T
Sep 10, 2009

Have FUN!

G MAN

G MAN,

I disagree. You do not have to be a big time hucker to kink your tunnel. The tunnels I have seen kinked are caused by a hit to an a-arm from a tree or rock.

Live to Ride: If you are looking to take some preventative measures, I recommend bracing that area of your tunnel. There are a few recent threads about this. I run fastrax motorsports braces. Easy install and have not kinked a tunnel yet.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
A lot of things do get blown out of proportion on here for sure.

I've straightened and re-braced quite a few tunnels that had suffered from "just the right hit" from rock or a stump.

My take on the reinforcements..this is only my opinion and there are lots of others as well.

If you are an average rider that goes off trail...
For ALL 2011 RMK/PRO-RMK's... bond the chaincase to the bulkhead like they did from the factory in all subsequent years.

On The PRO RMK's and RMk's add the FTX braces to all that are straight for good peace of mind.

For all that are damaged.. use the aftermarket braces available from FNI, VE Etc.... IMO... IMO, use the FTX bracing in conjunction with these for the best possible result.
The FTX sandwitches the different layers of the tunnel together at these locations to tie it all together.

Also with these full plate replacements... I recommend the ones that cover the most area.

If you are going to carry weight on the back of the tunnel...Go with a rear tunnel brace type full bumper that goes up the sides.... like the ones that AKSNOWRIDER makes... VE has a bumper kit that goes up the full sides as well as other I believe.

If you are running a coupled suspension like K-Mod, Baker or Timbersled OR... ARC from SPG or coupling with a strap like some... then you should brace the rear of the tunnel above the drop brackets for sure...T-sled, K-mod/FNI and others make these... or the full tunnel bracing mentioned above.

Do a lot of people not need them and have straight tunnels with hard riding for 1000's of miles... YES... as the saying goes though... "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
attachment.php

VOHK has some nice simple reinforcements that are really easy to install. No removal of other parts necessary. Pic is rear braces, footwell block-offs, and front braces. Simple drill and rivet and they fit very nicely in place. With an angle drill, you don't have to remove any parts for the install. I pulled my skid so that I could get pictures of the front braces in position. You can get them from www.vohk.com

Other photos below

image.jpg

Last edited:
L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
thank you for all the information, my hucking days for an old fellow like me are over but I have been know to catch my share of stumps lol and I do carry gas, tools etc. on the tunnel so I will look into some of the above easy bolt on braces.

mpn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Matt,
you must have had a slight problem with the pics, any chance you can post the pics of the reinforcements installed, I am interested in the rear, thanks

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Matt,
you must have had a slight problem with the pics, any chance you can post the pics of the reinforcements installed, I am interested in the rear, thanks

Oops, not sure what happened. Here is a shot of the rear brace installed.

attachment.php

image.jpg

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Thanks for that Matt.

One of the questions that will pop up...Do these also fit the Assaults with the different bracketry from PRO RMK's, inside the tunnel??

I believe this is for the standard and PRO RMKs only since the Assault has a different stronger bracket like you mentioned. I will get a photo in an Assault tunnel this weekend and give a 100% confirmation.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
G MAN,

I disagree. You do not have to be a big time hucker to kink your tunnel. The tunnels I have seen kinked are caused by a hit to an a-arm from a tree or rock.

Yeah, I was thinking that after I'd already posted along with the occasional roll down the hill after an unsuccessful climb. They don't hurt, that's for sure.

Have FUN!

G MAN

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I will be picking up a set from fire and ice/kmod today. Cheap insurance in my book and those guys build a quality product. The last thing I want to worry about on some of my early season rides is wiping out a tunnel.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
I realize completely that the front of the tunnel is definitely a weak point. but it seems other than on the 11s, I haven't heard of any bent tunnels around the rear drop bracket area. can anyone confirm a failure in the rear of the tunnel around the drop bracket area on a 13+ sled? have a 13 and also have a van amburg short bumper ready to install which adds bracing directly above the stock rear brace. really don't want to order the full length bumper seeing as how I already have this one.

Premium Features