• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls Clutching Vs SLP Etc...

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
It's about that time for our 2012 RMK 600 155" and 2013 Pro 163". Does anyone have any experience with Carls, SLP, or any other suggested "kits"? It seems like some kits don't really touch the secondary and the Carls kit puts a new helix, spring and roller bearing in their secondaries. I'm wondering if that's really necessary because it's about $435 for both clutches per sled plus all the shipping involved.

Also we're riding mostly the Cascades and Monashees @ 6k'- 8K'

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I like Carls clutching it is an improvement but I have had better results with Roosterbuilt. I don't have exp with SLP's set-up in the Pro.

D

diverdown

Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
Carls kit

I ran Carls kit last year on my 2014 800 pro. I couldn't tell much difference from stock. I bought the sled from Carls and they installed it. I did notice that the reverse with their helix does not work well at all. I am sending it back and going back to stock.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I have run the SLP set up in my pro. Backshift had a sleight improvement

I used their primary setup for my elecation and made some small weight changes. I have found at my elevation (2000") in any of my 800s that a typical fixed weight isn't quite what I want. Doesn't seem to optimize the rpm band I'm looking for. This year I will be trying the SLP springs with an adjustable weight

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
What ever you do make sure they have done testing at your elevation, I had slp clutching in my 12 163 pro, I talked to Dustin, what was awhile ago he did a set up for me since I am a bigger guy and it was a lot of improvement over stock. he did MTX weights, new springs primary and secondary and a new helix. For my 2015 I went with Kurts clutching, best set up so far.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I bought a 2010 660 with a Carl's built engine. I called and talked to Chris and what he recommended didn't work for my setup. It has been trial and error and it runs, but I think I'm missing some extra snort but tired of putting time and money into parts to try.

B

Buckshot700

Oct 8, 2008
I bought carls clutch kit for my 13 600 155. Absolutely loved it, the sled just went, held rpms like you wanted it too, right at that 8100 or so. Would definitely recommend it.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I bought a 2010 660 with a Carl's built engine. I called and talked to Chris and what he recommended didn't work for my setup. It has been trial and error and it runs, but I think I'm missing some extra snort but tired of putting time and money into parts to try.

Are you running the P2 secondary or team?

Their helix shouldn't cause a reverse problem.

For me running the Carl's setup at 2,500-6,000 feet plus, there is a large improvement over stock.

After trying Roosterbuilt last year, there is an even better improvement and highly recommend it.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i've done a fair amount of reserch on clutchin the pro and hear are the top folks i'd talk to
TRS (on here), Roosterbuilt, MDS, carls, slp
it kinda depends how far you wanna go gearing down etc...
but i will say make sure you get a setup that covers your needs and
SNOW CONDITIONS ! your from MT Hood area correct ?
thats no champagne snow friend :face-icon-small-win

let it snow

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
That's a big problem for me. More than half the time I ride in thicker snow than average but part of the time we have lighter snow or i'm somewhere else that has lighter snow

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
ok yeah that make it a little tougher but a good setup will cover a wide range of conditions
you can also set it up to make small changes for different snow and elv.
like helix or clutch weight change
for the heavier snow you really need it to back shift but still up shift for the lighter stuff call a few of those places i mentioned and see what they suggest for your situation Roosterbuilt is in WA and TRS has some loyal support in CA and OR thats pretty close to your riding zone/conditions
good luck

let it snow

T G

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Nevada
pm trs he's had a few 600.he set my 2012 up with a 163 ce holds 8100 all day in sierra's Ca. cooke city Mt. Both types of snow.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Is Rooster using a progressive Helix? That's one thing I like about the Carl's kit - they have it machined to their specs as I understand it, not just a helix that you swap out from Team Industries like most other kits do. My Carl's kit works very well but engagement is harsh so I'll probably go with a little lower initial primary spring rate. The biggest thing that swayed me to Carl's was that they cut the primary sheave (extra cost to cut and balance) so that both sheaves are the same angle and match the belt. For some dumb reason, the stock primary has one sheave that's different (maybe for smoother initial engagement) but that causes belt slip at WOT and added heat. My clutches stay WAY cooler than stock sleds with that mod alone (comparing to friends Pro without). I would do the Carl's sheave cut and balance regardless of who's kit you go with!

Have FUN!

G MAN

S
Mar 30, 2012
North West
The Trs 600 clutching works. He had me run a 19-46 gearing. TriCity Polaris 58gram lightning cam arms with the holes in them and 140-330 spring. In the back he installs a helix that is 54-32.46 on one side and 54-34.46 on the other. Spring installed in the back is a red pink. He also said to only run the stock Polaris 115 belt.

Premium Features