• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

after market can?

W

waitemr13

Sep 20, 2014
I was at the dealer ship today and they told me that slp was the only can to run on the pro's. I bought a hps can about a month ago and like the way it looks and sounds. how many miles do you guys have on your aftermarket can? and is there much truth to if you run an aftermarket can you are almost guaranteed to burn up the motor on these pro's?
thanks

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I ran HPS on my 11pro my 13 pro and my 14 pro with no problems with either with the can or the motor. I would like to try a diamond s titanium sometime

brandriet

Premium Member
Jul 19, 2011
South Dakota
Ya the HPS will blow your motor and rip the track to pieces... but Ill buy it from ya for cheap :face-icon-small-win

W

waitemr13

Sep 20, 2014
Well it makes me feel better hearing that from you guys because I did a search and don't find any evidence to back up what they said..

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
Been runnin the hps can since day 1. 2000 trouble free miles later I still love the look and sound.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Info on GGB Exhaust

Sound - Two different levels available. Choose the one that suits your riding style.
Performance – Guaranteed to be as good as or better than stock or we'll refund your money.

MOUNTAIN – Super Lightweight with Race Aggressive sound
They don't come any lighter or any louder. GGB Mountain cans shed huge weight and are designed for use in areas where increased sound is not an issue. These cans are loud, please use accordingly.
TRAIL - Lightweight with Tuned Muscle Sound
Designed specifically for riders wanting to enhance the stock sound. Our Trail cans offer excellent weight savings and provide a tuned muscle exhaust note that will make your buddies envious. These are an excellent choice for noise regulated riding areas as the sound level increase is kept constant from idle to wide open throttle.
2 Stroke
In a two-stroke engine a certain amount of exhaust pressure is needed to prevent unburned fuel/air mixture from passing right through the cylinders into the exhaust. This is achieved by the expansion chamber connected to the exhaust port of the engine. The expansion chamber consists of 5 main sections: Header, Diffuser or Inverter cone, Mid section, Baffle cone and finally a Stinger. As exhaust is pushed through the header into the diffuser cone a negative pulse is created, pulling fuel from the engine. Once exhaust enters the mid section, baffle cone and stinger, a positive pulse is created which sends a percentage of the exhaust wave back towards the engine and a certain amount out through the stinger. The stinger acts as a “pressure bleed valve” creating a “plugging effect” necessary for the expansion chamber to perform as designed. An oversized stinger evacuates to much pressure (heat) and an undersized stinger creates to much pressure (heat). As the exhaust wave has not yet reached the atmosphere, the same holds true for the muffler. The muffler acts as an extension of the stinger and must maintain the correct pressure (plugging effect) or performance levels will suffer as a result.
<CENTER>
tech.png

</CENTER> General thinking for a performance muffler is that bigger (more flow) is better. While this is true to a point on a 4 stroke engine, this is not the case on a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke muffler must be tuned to the expansion chamber to provide proper flow characteristics for optimum performance.
When it comes to tuning a two stroke, lets face it the OE’s now what there doing. For an aftermarket company to truely make additional power by just adding a muffler, the engine has to be run slightly leaner. This is accomplished by designing a slightly more restrictive, that’s right, restrictive muffler that creates more heat. It’s a fine line and any gains are minimal at best, usually going unnoticed in the real world.
At GGB our mufflers are designed to be a direct replacement for the stock unit and come with a performance guarantee. What we ultimately provide you with is the chance to drop a lot of under hood weight and the choice of how you want your machine to sound. Because lets face it, the stock muffler leaves a lot to be desired.

4 Stroke
As we mentined, bigger is better when it comes to exhaust flow on a 4 stroke motor. While this is true to a point, bottom end power and fuel economy can suffer from to loose of an exhaust (to much flow). Exhaust temperatures inside a tube can very significantly, from as high as 500 to 1300° F with the average sonic wave traveling at approximately 1700 feet per second in the upper rpm’s. Hot exhaust gas travels at a higher rate of speed than cool gas, so, if an exhaust systems tube diameter (flow) is to large for the engine’s displacement, the exhaust wave slows down, does not scavange spent fuel effectively and therefore reducing overall performance.
For the best overall performance, all GGB 4 stroke mufflers on this site are designed and built specifically for stock and improved stock engines. If you have a heavy mod engine, contact us about a high flow muffler for your application.

Silencing Methods
After correct flow characteristics are determined we address the sound attenuation of the muffler. While there are numerous different muffler designs available on the market, most mufflers for internal combustion engines use passive silencing methods. These muffers fall into two general categories, reactive and dissipative. Reactive mufflers make use of seperate chambers and defelctors to direct sound back to the source and are generally better at reducing low frequency sound waves. These mufflers are generally larger in size and come as original equipment from the manufacturer as they effectively reduce sound throughout a wide rpm range. Dissipative mufflers generally utilize a straight through flow design with perforated screen and filler materials (packing) scrubbing off sound waves and transforming them into heat. This type of muffler is generally smaller, can be easily made to provide more flow an is usually best at reducing medium to high frequencies. As rpm’s climb, so do the sound levels with this type of muffler.

Our Mufflers
GGB Trail mufflers are a combination reactive/dissipative type muffler. These mufflers provide a respectable sound increase throughout the entire rpm range while sheding big weight. The Trail muffler is an excellent choice for use in noise sensative riding areas.
GGB Mountain mufflers are a straight through, dissipative type muffler and, while the huge weight savings is appreciated by some folks, the noise levels they put out are not. Please use accordingly.
Performance levels with both the Mountain and Trail muffler are the same.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Part 2

Both the Trail and Mountain mufflers are guaranteed to perform as good as or better than stock.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
How do we achieve this?<O:p</O:p
By utilizing a flow bench. We first put the stock muffler on the flow bench and establish the air flow rate through the muffler. We then build our mufflers to match the air flow rate of the stock muffler. In most cases, this means that fuel or clutching modifications are not necessary as the engine does not react any different than it did with the stock muffler. <O:p</O:p
Mountain muffler<O:p</O:p
Weight - 4 lbs average.<O:p</O:p
Approximately 10-18 db louder than stock at wide open throttle.
<O:p</O:p Loud, aggressive sound from mid to wide open throttle.<O:p</O:p
Idle to just above engagement provides “fairly respectable” sound levels.<O:p</O:p
Not recommended for towns or populated areas.
<O:p</O:pTrail muffler<O:p</O:p
Weight - 6 lbs average.<O:p</O:p
Approximately 3-6 db louder than stock throughout the entire rpm range.<O:p</O:p
Tuned muscle sound.<O:p</O:p
Muffler does not get louder as the rpm increases.<O:p</O:p
In most cases, meets sound requirement SAE J2567.<O:p</O:p
Recommended for areas where sound levels are enforced.<O:p</O:p
Fitment<O:p</O:p
GGB mufflers fit right the first time. We use the original chassis mounts to so the muffler fits securely in the machine. No modifications necessary.<O:p</O:p
Finish<O:p</O:p
All mufflers a treated in a high heat black metallic, protective coating, rated for 1200°F.<O:p</O:p
Do the cans every need to be re-packed<O:p</O:p
No. We pack to tighter tolerances then the competition. We use the best fiber glass matting in the industry. We have never receiving a complaint due to muffler getting louder or needing to re-pack.<O:p</O:p
Do you Dyno your cans and do I have to make clutching or fuel changes<O:p</O:p
No, we use to. We now take the stock can, put it on a bench and do a flow test. We then build our can around that. <O:p</O:p
By utilizing a flow bench. We first put the stock muffler on the flow bench and establish the air flow rate through the muffler. We then build our mufflers to match the air flow rate of the stock muffler. In most cases, this means that fuel or clutching modifications are not necessary as the engine does not react any different than it did with the stock muffler. <O:p</O:p

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Both the Trail and Mountain mufflers are guaranteed to perform as good as or better than stock.<O:p</O:p
How do we achieve this?<O:p</O:p
Mountain muffler<O:p</O:p
Weight - 4 lbs average.<O:p</O:p
Approximately 10-18 db louder than stock at wide open throttle.
<O:p</O:p Loud, aggressive sound from mid to wide open throttle.<O:p</O:p
Idle to just above engagement provides “fairly respectable” sound levels.<O:p</O:p
Not recommended for towns or populated areas.
<O:p</O:pTrail muffler<O:p</O:p
Weight - 6 lbs average.<O:p</O:p
Approximately 3-6 db louder than stock throughout the entire rpm range.<O:p</O:p
Tuned muscle sound.<O:p</O:p
Muffler does not get louder as the rpm increases.<O:p</O:p
In most cases, meets sound requirement SAE J2567.<O:p</O:p
Recommended for areas where sound levels are enforced.<O:p</O:p
Fitment<O:p</O:p
GGB mufflers fit right the first time. We use the original chassis mounts to so the muffler fits securely in the machine. No modifications necessary.<O:p</O:p
Finish<O:p</O:p
All mufflers a treated in a high heat black metallic, protective coating, rated for 1200°F.<O:p</O:p
Do the cans every need to be re-packed<O:p</O:p
No. We pack to tighter tolerances then the competition. We use the best fiber glass matting in the industry. We have never receiving a complaint due to muffler getting louder or needing to re-pack.<O:p</O:p
Do you Dyno your cans and do I have to make clutching or fuel changes<O:p</O:p
No, we use to. We now take the stock can, put it on a bench and do a flow test. We then build our can around that. <O:p</O:p

that trail muffler is great! can sound but as loud as stock. I think i may get one for some "ear horse power".

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Weight loss seems to be the only benefit. Pros are already light. The other concern is warranty. I am not interested in possibly losing my 4 year warranty for the weight loss benefits from an aftermarket can. I will keep my warranty and snowcheck a 16 with the H.O. motor. It seems like he smartest option. I a baffled as to why anyone wants the Pro to be louder, especially if there is no performance advantage. Louder plays directly into the hands of the greenie wienies out there trying to take away our riding areas Don't do it.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Most people go louder as they think louder=more power or they are looking for attention (usually the younger crowd, think glasspacks on the vehicles in the highschool parking lot lol). I cannot think of any other reason myself.

I thought the stock pro sounded just fine but wanted a little lighter so i went with the Diamond S Quiet Titanium can.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
listen to my stock hemi with the duals......sounds awesome but is stock and not that loud. listen to the stock gm and fords......meh..... boring.

pro stock sounds.......not that great. Im all for quiet. lots of quiet cans that give the can sound but are very close to stock in loudness.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Do you have the Diamond S installed yet Biltit?
That's the one I'm also looking at. Want better tone, with juuust a bit more volume. It as light as they say??
Thanks..

G.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
Love my HPS. It's been on my '12 Pro for 3 years with no issues, and the same can went on my '15 Pro. Sounds good & saves a few pounds.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Just installed my diamond s lite ti can,
it is loud but sounds wicked good. Weighed in at 2# 15 oz

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I like it louder than stock for the main reason when I'm close too a buddy and i'm just behind him he can hear me so he doesn't turn into me.I've had guys crash into me because I was passing them.

trees happen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Anywhere there's snow
Honestly I really don't see a good reason to make my sled louder. lighter yes but not at the price of being the D-bag that brings more negative attention to our sport.I've got an old ZX9R with muzzy ti. System that I've had since I was in my early 20s I liked the sound at first but now it's just annoying it's called growing up. It's been my experience that the guys with Loud cans are the ones we don't really see deep in the backcountry where the fun technical tree riding is. There the trail guys that go to the power lines and back and that's it and spend the rest of the time back in the snow park with the rest of there buddies BS ing all day with trucks with way too tall of lifts and big wide mud tires with 24 inch wheels that usually get stuck on flat ground with their four place enclosed trailer cuz they have no traction. You know the guys I'm talking about the Jersey shore of the snow park!

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I like it louder than stock for the main reason when I'm close too a buddy and i'm just behind him he can hear me so he doesn't turn into me.I've had guys crash into me because I was passing them.
Not trying to be rude, I have seen this happen too, but maybe you shouldn't pass so closely to avoid this?

Premium Features