• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken bolt. need help

M
Sep 17, 2012
Hi,
I stripped a Torx bolt at the bottom right of the QD plate, where there is adhesive. After a couple hours of failing the head is now gone and the bolt got shorter for every attempt i did. I'am now trying to drill it out and was wondering if there is any special drill for this kinda job? I have used over 30 drills and the hole is 20mm.

Any other tips on how to get it out i appreciate

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The bottom Right bolt is a Torx head inside the tunnel and the flange nut on the outside, Correct? If so Stripped or not with a little heat You can get it out without drilling. I would grab the head with pliers or vice grips and remove the nut. Then heat the bolt and casting around the bolt to 300-400 degrees (whatever it takes to break the adhesive loose) and allow the bolt to turn. Once that happens, wiggle it free.

If I misinterpreted which bolt and it is one of the blind bolts, follow the advice below.

After disassembling a few; there is no substitute for the correct amount of heat and patience to get the adhesive to let loose of the bolt without stripping the Torx head out. I apply heat and periodically test the fastener for rotation with slow steady pressure, continuing to heat until it breaks free.

Since you are way past that point; my recommendation is a sharp drill bit and a good EZ out. The key to drilling these is a slow rotation and a heavy feed (if you are not making chips, stop and check your drill bit as it is likely dull, if you are not making chips - you are making heat and hardening the bolt further). Once you are deep enough for the EZ out to bite, reheat as described in the third paragraph and hopefully she will back out for you. If not you may have to drill it all out and re-tap it or even install a Heli-coil or equivalent thread insert.

Good luck!

Last edited:
M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Yikes!!i not hard to strip those bolts!! I striped mine last week on my 2015. I just welded on a bolt to the top of that torx head and spun it out in 15 mins. I hate using easy outs and drilling bolts out. Always a last resort. Sometimes u can do more damage!! Good luck.

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
If you decide to drill it use a cobalt bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features