• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

additional air horn?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Slp thinks so, I added there air horn and some v force reeds at the same time and there was a slight improvement. Carls cycle drills holes in the airbox shelf, and bikeman sellsa new shelf with the holes allready drilled.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
SLP figures there is no need until porting (so they said to me).

I did that so I added the extra horn but went with the longer stock one. My butt dyno lol, told me to never stop half way (just pipe and head) again.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The air horn is a better option. Holes drilled in the shelf disrupt air flow velocity and add turbulence. Yamaha did a lot of testing and work on this subject. Air horn length also changes bottom end response. If I remember correctly, long horns added to bottom end and short horns added to top end.
I played with air horns last winter, and the photo shows options and what I found to work the best.

image.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
TRS,
Would you happen to have the parts numbers?

Polaris part numbers.

It's the one installed in the shelf. I trimmed this one down to the first seam. I'm planning on a little more testing.

The larger topped air horn
I also have numerous other air horns.

When installing an added air horn, install an SLP High Flow intake. This combo makes the "long rod" smile.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
TRS- let us know how things work out. Us "Long rodders" are few and far between it seems. I already have the slp intake and powder valves but am interested in this mod if it helps.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Its a lot easier to mess up an air box / intake system then it is to make it better. You can always make them sound meaner but many times you are loosing power. (anyone else flip the air cleaner lid upside down on your car/truck when you were a kid?) Eric

Premium Features