• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why does REI have a banner ad on this website?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'd really appreciate an explanation.

Essentially as I see this, you're selling advertising to an organization that uses profits to deny access to the snowmobile/OHV crowd.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I will check with the advertising department, but just guessing, REI didn't buy an ad, chances are a recreational advertising company bought general ad space and they ran REI as an insert along with many other's that rotate in and out.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Well, I guess it's time to take a lesson from the feds. Profile and scrutiny!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
" Commercial Profiling " is slacking maybe they snuck in during the outage and stole all our intel to be used against us in prior events..spam to follow shortly.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, I guess I didn't realize these banner ads were effectively "streamed" from an ad company that just buys bulk ad space on the website.

I just saw that and was like "whaaaaaaaaat?" ....

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't see the problem... they are paying Snowest for ad space and getting nothing from it because none of us are clicking on it or buying from them. In fact, I kind of like that idea, they are throwing their money away.

I recently went in to the local REI to try on PFDs... I swear they could tell I was a motor head the way they were staring at me. Or maybe it was the fact that I had a maxsled.com hat on? :)

sled_guy

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I paid the office a visit yesterday to find out what this is all about.

Sure enough.

The REI ad is part of a CO-OP group buy of ad space on SnoWest.

SnoWest sold that block of space to an outdoor advertising agency who then runs a wide variety of outdoor enthusiast ads in the block, none of which are primarily targeted for Snowmobilers only.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Here in Anchorage, we dedicated backpacking/mountain hunters (sheep/goats) like to go to REI to check out the latest lightweight gear and chat up the green-vested, soap-free types on all things hunting just to watch them squirm--REI policy is to be polite to polite customers so they can't run you off or lecture you so long as you stay cool about it. Knowing that their organic free-range, titanium cook pot is helping some knuckle dragging, meat-eater whack a ram makes them have little emotional kittens right there in the store.

Don't forget to smile big and share hunting adventures with enthusiasm!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Here in Anchorage, we dedicated backpacking/mountain hunters (sheep/goats) like to go to REI to check out the latest lightweight gear and chat up the green-vested, soap-free types on all things hunting just to watch them squirm--REI policy is to be polite to polite customers so they can't run you off or lecture you so long as you stay cool about it. Knowing that their organic free-range, titanium cook pot is helping some knuckle dragging, meat-eater whack a ram makes them have little emotional kittens right there in the store.

Don't forget to smile big and share hunting adventures with enthusiasm!

emotional kittens....

L. M. F. A. O.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Last time I was in there I told them I was looking for lightweight shell as I can get a little warm when I'm riding my deep-lugged mountain sled in the back country in the spring. I also wear my Slednecks tee w/ the skull on it.

I get a kick out of the looks some of them give me.

Premium Features