• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pics of Head Cyl & Head Work

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Every year I hit Doug Ruth up for his latest "wiggle" in motor work. He works very close with many of the top engine builders around the globe and because of this there is always something fresh... Being an "early adopter" by nature, I love trying out the latest and greatest. To date, with all the Poo 1200 triples, CR500's, and straight up twins I have yet to be let down. Just amazing, he knows his stuff!

This experiment is derived from what has worked very well the past few seasons on the boosted Poo motors; which gave the turbo'd motor increased bottom end without giving up top end perf. So, the old big bore, war wagon, rolling lab had to give it a try Supposed to give some increased crankcase compression, better low-mid, and not hurt top end.

I love the machine and porting work he does.....thought you guys might too..... I gave him my motor and let him "have at it". Below are some pics, notice the head, it has the "bathtub" style of combustion chamber used by Union Bay Racing (where he ported for almost 10 years) and now adopted by Power Addiction Racing. Proven to give low-mid torque increase.

A plug thread would not be complete without a link: www.ruthpower.com

Other motor work he has done for me over the years....
4Z Webshots

exh main.jpg exh aux.jpg head 2.jpg Head.jpg machine work.jpg

Last edited:
E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Is that a HEMI?

Looks great!!

What comp ratio did you end up with? What fuel?

The toroidal designs have been proven in the turbo world for quite awhile. Keeping compression stock or slightly increased but still has the ability to suppress detonation better than the stock dome design. Much better heat control in a turbo. Haven't heard much about it in a NA. Better report back in a few months!!!

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
He does do beautiful work doesnt he?....

Indeed.
Amazing what the human condition can be when someone "makes a decision" to be the best that they can at something.

I asked for him to hit a compression target of 13.8 to 14. He said "that's fine, but what do you want?" I replied "anything in that range". He says "fine". Well, guess what, I got 13.8:1 right on the money. Verified it myself (as I always do).

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Gus on here use to mention toroidal heads all the time. Funny no one is selling them to us ? Nice looking port work. Hard to tell in the pix but does he do much w the transfers? thx for the pix

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yeah, had an engine builder tell me one time that a street head couldnt run with his "race heads" ..so I took a set of iron stock BB chevy heads..spent 80 hrs welding and grinding on em...still the best all around set of BBC heads I have ever touched..to 8500 they worked..everywhere..wish I still had them....

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Gus on here use to mention toroidal heads all the time. Funny no one is selling them to us ? Nice looking port work. Hard to tell in the pix but does he do much w the transfers? thx for the pix

He does work on the transfers. Visually noticeable is between the the cyl skirt front and rear, he cuts the cyl wall down quite a bit. Smooths out casting and blending.

Premium Features