• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 2011 Gathering of Overly Competitive People Summer Ride

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Originally Posted by hypnotoad:

Out of curiosity, how often do you actually use the full zoom of the 70-300 lens? Do you shot everything free hand or do you carry a tri-pod out with you? I'm hoping to start taking some decent pics next year but there isn't a whole lot of info out there about winter action sport photography, so any tips or links would be great

Ryan,

Sounds like an idea for a great new "stand alone" thread.

Would you be up for this??

Gives you a chance to have a Q&A aspect here with the members on this great topic.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Any chance of getting this thread copied over to BCR (the other site)? I can no longer see any posts.

This thread and lots of other threads with pics, technical info, repairs, etc threads are great reasons to drop a little money to become a full member.

I like to watch my money as much as the next guy, but for the price of 3 gallons of gas, you get a lot in return, IMO.

(PM sent also so you can read my reply)

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Out of curiosity, how often do you actually use the full zoom of the 70-300 lens? Do you shot everything free hand or do you carry a tri-pod out with you? I'm hoping to start taking some decent pics next year but there isn't a whole lot of info out there about winter action sport photography, so any tips or links would be great.

All the time. It's hard to get close on a mountainside. I never take a tripod out. I'm kind of a minimalist, so there may be better advice out there. Half the time I don't even take my helmet off to shoot...
I would suggest that you overexpose by one or two stops because the bright snow messes up the meter reading.

These of Burandt are all at full 300mm zoom. ISO 320, auto white balance (the one thing the camera is good at in auto), +0.3EV.

DSC_7420-1.jpg

DSC_7421.jpg

DSC_7422.jpg

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Ras. Mus. Sen.

My favorite thing about this one is if you notice, nobody else's sled has any snow on the hood. Bret disappeared for a minute, then came back looking like he'd been busting January powder. The rumor is that he and his sled quit seeing each other there for about 45 seconds when he dropped into a steep ravine.

DSC_7796.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Jenkins is an awesome guy to ride with and and an amazing rider.

Last year, when out with Rocky and the BD crew... I watch him, Rocky, Alan Mangum slug it out on some scary terrain in Bedford....Amazing to see in person... your pics bring it all back!!

That was back when Wyatt and I were at the same riding level... now he would leave me smoldering in the ashes... any good action shots of Wyatt??

Premium Features