• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Simmons Gen III"s cut out

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Has anyone done the Carl's cutout on Gen III's?

I did it to my old PP's and loved it. I just put a set of Gen III's on and they are awesome for flotation as well as a huge improvement on the trail over the PP's. I'd highly recommend the Gen III's.

I did noticed a difference without the cut out though. While counter steering on a side hill, they seemed to want to "kick me out" of the groove more than the PP's. It was a noticeable difference from the cut out PP's. I'm wondering if its just from a different ski, the cut out, or both combined.

Any input on people who've cut out their Simmons Gen III's would be great.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, you have my attention.
By all means, REPORT BACK what you find.
That is no small alteration of the ski!!

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
Sorry about the late report guys, been really busy with work.

Skis performed great!
Trail performance showed no difference at all, they still tracked true with no darting whatsoever.

Off trail is where the Simmons Gen III's shine and with the cut out....even better.

• Sled pulls over on its side a lot easier, especially on downhill turns.
  • I didn't notice any lack of flotation with the cut out...in 2 ft of powder they floated the front end effortlessly
  • Carving thru meadows of 2 ft powder was great.
  • Carving across a side hill is where the cut out really made itself noticeable.
  • It holds onto the hill a lot better...the cut out allows the outside edge to bite into the hill better. This was a very BIG noticeable difference with and then without the cut out. Before the cut out, it seemed to want to kick me out of the line I was on too easily whenever I crossed a trench or encountered bumps/humps in terrain. Change in direction while pulling a cross side hill was noticeably easier as well, a little more or less counter steer and the sled went right where I wanted it to go without any "washout" feeling.
Above testing was done in 2 ft of dry powder, over the course of the morning/afternoon, it warmed up and the snow got heavy. Other than snow conditions being different, the skis performed flawlessly in all conditions.
I think Val needs to sell them like this. With the cut, it's a perfect all around, any condition ski.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
I am 100% glad I cut these skis. Performance has definitely been enhanced.

Last edited:
A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Gen IIIs with cut outs

Have you riden them anymore and what tool did you use to cut them?

Looks like an awsome mod. Any pics of them installed?

Good job!

akrevrider

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
Have you riden them anymore and what tool did you use to cut them?

Looks like an awsome mod. Any pics of them installed?

Good job!

akrevrider

I used a jigsaw with a 18TPI blade, being careful to not dig into the edge of the outside skag rib (see pics in first post), then used a combo wood rasp to clean the edges (rounded rough/fine on on side of rasp, flat rough/fine on the other).

After I got straight, smooth, clean edges I used my torch along the edges to give it a smooth, finished look.

I also rode them in some extremely heavy "Cascade Concrete" snow (1.5 - 2 ft deep) ........same performance as above. :)

what in the heck is the lil aluminum shark fin deal on the back??

They don't work very well on the Gen III's, they have such deep keels that the fin barely touches the snow on trail. I think they were primarily designed for the flat bottomed Gen I's.

IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0225.jpg IMG_0226.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You should know me better than that.
I will document the whole process!

Just back from the tool store.
Getting started now.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Figured that you would post some pics. just wanted to see if you use a different pattern and process. Never hurts to see a mod done by a different set of hands & tools.

Premium Features