• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAVING YOUR BUDDY'S LIFE

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Fellow Sledders,
The majority of avalanche victims are snowmobilers. Snowmobilers have unique avalanche concerns that go beyond that of other backcountry recreationalists. Last weekend I, my son and a good friend attended a snowmobile-specific avalanche awareness and rescue skills course that was so good that I felt compelled to report on it here. The class, offered by the Alpine Safety Awareness Program, took place in the Cle Elum area with instructors that regularly snowmobile. These instructors were very thorough and presented the information in an easy to understand format.

As participants, we spent Saturday in class learning and discussing how to increase our awareness of and significantly reduce our exposure to avalanche dangers and Sunday performing rescue skills on the snow. This was a great program with sledder specific advice on how to keep yourself safe in the mountains, yet still sled every day.

I encourage anyone that desires to return home safely after a day's ride to enroll in this class and to get your buddy's to attend it with you. You can learn more about this class by contacting www.alpinesafety.org.

There will be several more classes held this season. The Awareness class will be offered on Jan 8, Feb 12, and Mar 12 for $90. The rescue skills course will be offered on Jan 9, Jan 22, Feb 13, Feb 26, Mar 13 and Mar 26 for $125. Or you can sign up for both classes for $185.

After Sunday, each participant reported that this course was WELL worth the price and their time. No matter how well you think you understand avalanches and the proper rescue techniques to save your friend's life, you will be amazed with the information and skills gained from attending this quality course. Please, do yourself and your friends a favor- get more informed on this subject so you can continue to enjoy the snow for many seasons to come.

If you have any questions about this course you can contact chad@methownet.com

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Thanks for the review...it's through word of mouth and peer pressure that complacency will be reduced.

For anyone who has not taken an awareness course...I challenge you to give me a reasonable, sane answer as to why not?

*Do you really believe you NEVER ride in avalanche terrain? How do you know?
*Do you really believe you already know everything you need to know?? (we have volunteered to assist 7 or 8 classes in the last 3 seasons and I still pick up something EVERY class).
*Do you really not have anyone in your life that will be devastated when your body has to be recovered from the mountain? Really?? (I bet your mom will tell me otherwise!!)
*What about your riding partners? Are their lives not worth ONE DAY of training? Is your life not worth that much to them? (if the answer to this question is no, you will NEVER ride with us!!).

Bottom line...nobody who rides in the mountains has a legitimate excuse to not take a class.

Hope to see more of you in the next class!!

Premium Features