• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

effects of re-locating front skid shock

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
there are two different top mount positions for the front skidframe shock. one makes shock more upright, the other lays the shock down more. what effects can i expect from both of these positions. ride quality?? weight transfer?? thanks

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
The shock has more leverage upright, so exerts more pressure. Lay down it gives a softer ride, lets the nose down easier. Almost everyone around here keeps theirs in the upright position for mountain riding, deep snow. Carl's Cycle says up for snow, down for softer ride.
But some swear their sleds work better in the snow laying down.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
well if its in the up rite position it has more pressure trying to push the skid down in return make a worse approach angle exspecially when weight transfer is at its peak. i run mine layed down because my suspension is not coupled atleast thats how i think it works correct me if iam wrong

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I believe the owners manual says that for deep snow you should keep it in the upper hole, with the straps extended (coulda been the Edge owners manual). I tried mine in the lower hole and hated it, felt like the front end was plowing snow, and it was hard to pick the skiis up as there was less weight transfer. I was getting stuck in places I would normally just blast threw, some guys seem to like it better though.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
on my 700 with 174 limiters tight as they will go shock layed down mine wheelies way to much iam to poor at the moment to get a timber sled to stop the wheeling so iam going to exsperiment with a rear coupler like ovs has for cat

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Laid down works well on Edge RMKs... not well on IQ RMKs. Lots of theories why that is, but the nose of an IQ RMK is heavier than an Edge RMK so you need more help to transfer that weight up.

When the 900s came out leaving the shock in the upright position and even adding a stiffer spring helped a bunch with the heavy azz steering, as long as you were on the throttle.

All I can tell you is to play with it on your sled and see if you like it.

If you are riding an IQ Dragon and can't seem to get the inside ski lift under control when trail riding it move the shock to the lower hole and see if it is improved.

sled_guy

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
What everyone else has said is correct. Typically you would lay down the front shock an let out the front limiters. This in theory would allow the sled to get on top the snow easier and stay flatter.
Letting the limiter out allows the shock to maintain full stroke even though it isn't at optimal angle for transfer of force from bumps and jumps.
With it in the down position you also exert less transfer force of the machine. You will be less likely to wheelie. However, you will place more pressure on your skis. This may lead to more darting on the trail.
Put a chalk mark or tape or something on the floor where your track first touches the ground. Then make the adjustments and that mark should have moved further back. You have now in essence changed your approach angle. :) As stated this was a great improvement on the edge chassis. I am trying it on the IQ this year too. This is more of a deep powder adjustment and should work good for boon docking.
If you spend a lot of time jumping or on the trail I wouldn't recommend doing this as you are going to sacrifice ride quality and as Ron stated, suspension action. If you ride a lot of set up snow this probably won't benefit either as you are not as concerned about the approach angle.

T

tahoermk

Nov 26, 2007
Tahoe
Like it low!

I dropped mine down on my 09 D8, and left the limiters in the middle. I like it in the pow and on climbs. It seems to jump up on top of the snow quickly, and climb flatter and faster than my friends in the stock position. His seems to climb and plane up slower. It does ride rougher on the trail, but I don't care how it rides on the little bit of trial I ride.

G

G_dub

Dec 14, 2008
Downtown Boise, ID
Tried mine in lower position this weekend trail riding as whooped out as it was sucked. But in the deep it would just jump up on top of the snow I was ripping right through where normally i would trench and get stuck. so I would think for a free mod other than time it was worth trying to me. Other than time to loosen 1 bolt an wrestle the shock into the lower position it was worth it IMHO

G

Premium Features