• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev 800 clutching - what works, what doesnt?

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Well, now that we have a new forum I guess we might as well start into this again! I was thinking it would be really helpful if we posted what setups we have tried, and what the results were.

I have an 07 800R 151 geared 20/45. I didnt have the huge problems that some guys had last year, but still feel there are huge gains to be had on this sled with better clutching.

Ive tried the DJ clutch kit and was not impressed. On an open flat stretch, the sled would rev 8400rpm on clicker 6 and top out at 70mph. On a decent climb, revs would drop to 7500rpm. I dont think I ever seen 40mph track speed.

I went back to the stock setup with the straight 44. WAY better. 80mph on the trail with a handful of throttle yet to be had. Mid to high 40s while climbing and revs would dip to 8200rpm on a good pull.

Way higher clutch heat with the stock setup though. Blew my third belt in 500miles. I have floated the secondary now, and would like to try a 46/38 helix. Also in the process of putting together a p85 to try that out. Ive heard lots of good things about this setup.

F
Nov 26, 2007
tra7 on the bench.tra3 on the sled,joes helix,purple /yellow spring with 417 ramps.16.5 grams in arms,19/47 gears hoping to try this weekend.:D

riding an 07 800 xrs 159 with stock gearing but struggling with consistent clutch performance. seems to over rev on packed snow then under rev on fresh or steep climbs. any suggestions out there? also, was riding this weekend at togwotee pass (elev. apprx. 9500) and fouled first plug within 30 miles of the truck and the second within 70 miles. anyone else have similar experiences at that elevation? thanks.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
riding an 07 800 xrs 159 with stock gearing but struggling with consistent clutch performance. seems to over rev on packed snow then under rev on fresh or steep climbs. any suggestions out there? also, was riding this weekend at togwotee pass (elev. apprx. 9500) and fouled first plug within 30 miles of the truck and the second within 70 miles. anyone else have similar experiences at that elevation? thanks.

A good, proven settup that'll work on the 800R Summits-
160/320 primary spring, 44/36 helix w/stock purple spring, and as much weight as your engine will pull on a climb at your altitude, probably between 16 and 19g depending on altitude, track length and rider weight. Also gear down to 19/47 if you run a 159, a slightly taller gear for shorter tracks.

T
Jan 18, 2006
Fairview, AB
Stocker, did you find the 19-45 to low?? Thanks for the reply back Winter Brew!! Sherm

Sherm,

Going to the 19 - 47 is a lower gear the 19 - 45. I am hoping this combo will will open the clutches all the way, help keep the clutches cooler and maintain max. track speed. It will also help the chain in the gear case fit better. The chain tightener is almost all the way in with the 19 - 45.

D
Nov 28, 2007
I installed a Dynomo Joe clutch kit on my 05 rev 800 144 (all stock). It works great. I know you have a different clutch but I'll bet Joey has a good kit for it.
He was also very helpful with any questions I had. I highly recommend him.

Doodog

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Well, now that we have a new forum I guess we might as well start into this again! I was thinking it would be really helpful if we posted what setups we have tried, and what the results were.

I have an 07 800R 151 geared 20/45. I didnt have the huge problems that some guys had last year, but still feel there are huge gains to be had on this sled with better clutching.

Ive tried the DJ clutch kit and was not impressed. On an open flat stretch, the sled would rev 8400rpm on clicker 6 and top out at 70mph. On a decent climb, revs would drop to 7500rpm. I dont think I ever seen 40mph track speed.

I went back to the stock setup with the straight 44. WAY better. 80mph on the trail with a handful of throttle yet to be had. Mid to high 40s while climbing and revs would dip to 8200rpm on a good pull.

Way higher clutch heat with the stock setup though. Blew my third belt in 500miles. I have floated the secondary now, and would like to try a 46/38 helix. Also in the process of putting together a p85 to try that out. Ive heard lots of good things about this setup.
Apr 1 2007, 10:57 AM
ps. I LOVE MY 800R!! Sorry to all the guys that have had bad luck with theirs. RTs were supposed to be turds and mine ran like a champ out of the box too.........good luck I guess. I did blow a belt though after 280 miles. Thats with 20T top gear and DJs clutch kit. The primary must have sucked in some cords though because I notice I lost alot of track speed after I changed belts and every now and then while climbing my RPMs would drop off to 7500. It seemed to get better after a couple of pulls though so maybe it cleaned itself out.

So basically after trying my kit a few times and seeing the results of before and after blowing a belt...I don't see any feedback of you trying to lighten up the flyweight and lowering a clicker or after discussing the problem, maybe I would have sent you a different primary spring to solve the problem....
....just run the kit, hope for the best, did not work on a TRA7 as stated and call it "dont work".

All I can answer is that my kits have run damn near flawless in a summit with little and quick to tune until the 07R with a TRA7 come along...
...and run great on 07R's with TRA3.

Could your primary clutch not be able to handle the kit flyweight applied?
Could the secondary have a bushing that only works with your oem helix?
Could something be deforming while running my parts?

Those questions are not asked with other sleds and non-tra7 primary.

Because of exactly what you mention with the addition of customer feedback and my own experiences, If I have some problems that are similar to the 07TRA7, have a brand new tra3 with ring gear to go on my 08 800XP.

For your information provided, you just said what you said and not much more evidence than that for me to offer anything constructive other than to say...
Im sorry you wasted your money like that.
Put that kit up on dootalk swap section, it will be scooped up right away and advise the buyer to see me about a setup sheet.

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
The DJ Kit does require fine tuning. I experimented with a few primary spring and pin weights to get the "response" that I wanted.

We have used Joe's kit in 03, 05, 06 and a couple 07 XRS's with great success (a little weird spinning a twin at 8400 though).

Once the kit is fine tuned for your riding conditions, weight, sled, etc., you will never go back to stock clutching, the performance gain with the DJ kit is unreal.

If the DJ kit is not working in your Summit, something is wrong.

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of happy customers out there and I am one of them!!

Circus Midget

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If the DJ kit is not working in your Summit, something is wrong.

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of happy customers out there and I am one of them!!

I agree. I installed one of Joe's kits on my 600 a few years ago and I could not believe the difference it made. Stock clutching made it felt sluggish and really slow to backshift. I was tickled pink with Joes kit because the backshift and throttle response was always spot on. I found Joe's kit works very well for my style of riding and once you take the time to dial it in, you will be happy too.

This year I'm taking one of Joe's kits and tuning it to run on an 830....I'm can't wait to see how it performs.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I have never had problems until the 07R model.
Damn I have the kit in triple rev's even...right to 1200cc's.

The TRA7, I have seen....
Gunk on pins
roller material mashing
roller seizing
sliding sheave bushing erosion
Sliding sheave button galley "TAPER" Like good gawd, a fking TAPER???? As the shift increases so does the rpms the sliding sheave cannot go full shift - taking an inside bore gage measuring across the button galley and the top of the galley the top is narrower?...that squeezes the governor cup and now you cannot upshift.
Now you get caught up in a cat/mouse game of adding flyweight so the clutch will push harder but then now you have applied too much flyweight for midrange track speeds that you want to see in snow, too much flyweight reveals low rpms, but boy will it go down the road 80mph....get in the powder and baawwwg...low rpms.
Then on the other end, you have correct rpms only under load and 9000 rpms down the trail?...
...this is the results of a "tapered button galley" [pic attached]

I ended up taking a clutch apart and sticking it in an oven, heating the clutch to 160 degrees and try to simulate hot operating clutch condition.

As heat is generated in the clutch, the tra lever material grows and starts to put the squeeze on the washers and rollers; This would cause the roller to seize and skid along the tra ramp. Everything fine on a cold clutch - its when the clutches get warm then hot, that's when the problem starts to reveal itself.
Taking the roller/washer assembly out, my friend lightly sanded in between the area of the fork of the tra lever and install new parts again and no more problem. Roller runs freely.

Another issue is the TRA lever is sticking down at the hinge/fastener area. With engine off, by hand, you can slowly rotate the primary and hear each arm fall to touch the tra ramp. Rotate the clutch fully around and should reveal 3-ticks hearing the arm touching the tra ramp.
If you do not hear each of the 3 arms touch their respective ramp then could be in for an arm that sticks when the clutch is hot and cause rpms drift high/lower. Everything fine on a cold clutch - its when the clutches get warm then hot, that's when the problem starts to reveal itself with rpms that hunt up and down - even on a flatland ride in deep snow. Everything fine on a cold clutch - its when the clutches get warm then hot, that's when the problem starts to reveal itself.

I have had customers open up their secondary and say they had one or two rollers that were stuck or seizing up....They get new rollers from the dealer and cannot install on the shaft. Remove a roller from a 2006 model and the rollers easily fit.
The quesion is - Is this tight fit from the 07 shaft being too large diameter? ...or from the roller hole diameter being too small?....Because a "used 2006 roller" fits fine.

This all before a clutch kit.

If a guy plays around with the jets, leaning out and running the engine under load, a low knock level code can be triggered and tell the ecm to adjust timing....now you have difficulty getting the w.o.t. rpms to come back up.

Engine mounts going soft contribute to a belt blowing.....

The 07R has been severely straining the powers of patience.

B
i was burning belts (1-2/ride), installed joeys kit with 160-320 spring-16.5 gm(i think, been so long that i had to mess with it, just clean and go)weight in my 06 x 800 159 and haven't blown a belt since. Sled runs 8050rpm, powder, trail, always. I might get 8000rpm when i hit another track then hit powder on a climb but it backshifts to 8050 instantly. Can't say enough good about Joey's kit. Thanks Joe.

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
i sure wish there was some way i could just "import" all of this knowledge into my pea brain and then try to keep it there!!
thanks for all the info joe, if you could work on some way to lock this stuff into my head it would be greatly appreciated!!!

donald

Premium Features