• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding partners.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I will ride with anybody, if they want to go. As long as I can get a idea of who and how they ride. If they want to stick to the trail, OK i can have fun around the trail. If they like a little adventure, not far from the trail great, I can have fun with them there. But when it comes down to really getting with it, big, steep, deep, and hard to get to places then that requires alot more from a rider. I must know them or know there abilites, not that I mind helping get some one unstuck that happens to everyone. But you have to be safe, and able to handle the bad terrain. If I can't verify this then we will have to go to another place or ride some other time.
I have two or three riding buddies that I ride with 90 percent of the time, we know if one gets into trouble then the other two can always make it to your location to help. For the most part we know where one another are at all times, and don't get very far from each other. IMO this is a must when riding the backcountry.
With that, I can have a great day with anyone, whether it is my 12 yr. old son, or my 62 yr. old father. I just love to be out there.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
I have a mixed riding group of guys that we have introduced into the sport. We sort people out and take them to the terrain that they can handle as we want everybody to enjoy the ride. Although I can say I have the most fun riding with my family. This is a Family Sport !!! >>>>.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I ride with guys I trust. I have been riding with more local folks as I'm tired of waiting on the guys that live farther away and they always seem to get stuck in ski traffic.

We always take on noobs if they are honest about the skills that they have. They lie, we find out pretty quick. and they aren't ever invited again. Not alot of experience, but have the desire and will to learn and try then it's all good. No beacon/probe you don't ride with us. Period. We want our as$es covered if we have a bad day.

Getting stuck is part of the game. I get stuck more than most, but I have boost so I'm always pushing my limits to get better. No stucks, you aren't riding hard enough or you are a gaper. Also, you gotta know the avy dangers. If you are unaware that the danger is high, you don't ride with us.

I have ridden with lotsa flattys, Mafesto and his crew included. They gave it their all and rode well.

Unfortunatley, the only hot chicks that have ridden with us were married. I am too. :( but it's way more fun to razz and flirt with the single ones. :face-icon-small-coo

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
:face-icon-small-sho

F-Bomb.....you bringing up the whole "breathing in my mouth" thing...definitely may change who I ride with from now on! haha! In fact, maybe more dudes! :face-icon-small-win Thinking of some of the guys I ride with....makes me pitch a tent a little bit now!

Seriously, I prefer someone who wants my backside, as I would have theirs'! Someone smart, safe and with good hard-on. Fortunately, I have a lot of riding buddies who fit that category. For me, I prefer a small peniz.

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
My best riding buddy is my (65 yr old) wife. She is a good little rider, not overly aggressive but can hang right in there. She enjoys riding and that is the best part. I have been riding for over 40 years and she has been with me for over 30. Other couples make my wife feel more comfortable so she “won’t hold up the guys” but she but can keep up with most people.
I will ride with most anyone. We used to have a small group of club members that rode regularly so you knew what to expect from each, which was nice. The young “hotshots” are kinda too much for me so the middle age/older fits me better. The only problem is that most guys my age don’t ride as aggressive as I do so I have to kinda look around. I don’t like to sit around a lot. Once the adrenaline stops, I’m shot. I come to ride. I love to poke my nose into new territory so tend to get stuck a bit. And at my age (78) it’s nice to have some other riders around just in case something happens. I enjoy hooking up with visitors to show them our area and meet new people.

Ones that I will ride with only once:
Drinking – I’ll ride once with a bunch that has to have a beer at every stop. You can do as much as you want after done riding but not on the trail.
Guys that continually jump off the trail when behind you and you have sit at the next intersection and try to figure out where they are, if playing or in trouble.
Leaders that never look back and climb the hill or carve the meadow for 30 minutes before counting noses. If I am leading a gaggle, I stop at each intersection and make sure we are all still there before going on.
A guy yelling at and brow beating his wife because she can’t do everything he can. Tactful suggestions and encouragement may get you better results. Discuss techniques on the way home, not in the heat of battle.

To me, it is about the group. It’s not just about who can do the highmark or who can do the best carve. It’s about everyone having fun. Any experience is better if shared with others. It’s nice to have riders with enough experience that you don’t have hold their hand but then newbies have to learn sometime.

192.jpg

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Like I said Family Sport !! >>>>.
Copy2ofGrandLakeChristmas2011014.jpg

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
It is a good thing you never met my daughter, I am sure she would have pushed you over the edge, then highmarked your landing.

i dont know about that, she'd most likely push me over, and grab hold of me, so she went over as well while hoping she'd land on top of me. ;) ( assuming she's of legal age. )

in all seriousness, im a gentle giant. read my first post in the thread, as thats the serious one. i definitely respect women. if the dont deserve to be respected on the other hand, none will be given.

i guess my humor is hard to catch onto in text form? lol

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
i dont know about that, she'd most likely push me over, and grab hold of me, so she went over as well while hoping she'd land on top of me. ;) ( assuming she's of legal age. )

in all seriousness, im a gentle giant. read my first post in the thread, as thats the serious one. i definitely respect women. if the dont deserve to be respected on the other hand, none will be given.

i guess my humor is hard to catch onto in text form? lol

I'd be careful and give respect right away...

Actually her daughter could kick your azz. And i don't mean the fun kind.

She's in her late 20's, did two tours Afghanistan, captured Sadaam, was a model for Klim, she's a stunt double for the DOS Equis Most Interesting Man In The World dude AND Chuck Norris, invented the Shake Weight (the MEN'S model, not the women's) and she even survived a ride with me into HooDoo Pass.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
I'd be careful and give respect right away...

Actually her daughter could kick your azz. And i don't mean the fun kind.

She's in her late 20's, did two tours Afghanistan, captured Sadaam, was a model for Klim, she's a stunt double for the DOS Equis Most Interesting Man In The World dude AND Chuck Norris, invented the Shake Weight (the MEN'S model, not the women's) and she even survived a ride with me into HooDoo Pass.

well i guess u'd have to know me to see how respectful i am.

do u really think id push someone off a cliff? well.... i would... only if they deserved it of course.

and damn she sounds like a badass. thats hot. pretty spectacular if she really did accomplish all those things... Doubtful yes, but in a chance of MANY to one, thats awesome. id like to meet her, we'd ride together, if she was cool in the head and not some PTSD psycho, funny, and loved to ride, we'd fall in love, have babies, have a nice house on the hill, and we would combine my Krav Maga, and her tactical skills, and save the world from all the corruption. yep.... just the two of us. ;)

Last edited:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Scott, your killing me. That was hilarious. Actually, she just turned 25, she has modeled for Klim as well as other modelling, and she did survive one hell of a ride at HooDoo with Scott including endo-ing her sled 5 times after going off a rock out-cropping and still managing to pull it out and get it back to the truck on one cylinder. It broke the spark plug wire. She has been on quite a few other memorable rides as well. Oh, and you forgot to mention that she used to do the snow shows with Thunderstruck.

snowmobilesrme, I am sure you are respectful, but I can guarantee that you would be with my daughter. She has way to many friends in this community that would hurt you if you were not. That is not a threat or anything like that, just a fact. If I was threatening you, it would come from me since I am her mother and I keep my word.

Oh ya, she was an abused child too. I used to ground her and make her go snowmobiling with me.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
After the experience i had three weeks ago where my buddy got his arm caught in his track, and almost died on the mountain. I look at my riding buddies the different now. If I have to look at you and cannot imagine that you are mature enough, and or capeable enough to save my life in the event of a tragic accident. It is a polite Nope ... dont care to ride with you. I trust my riding buddies with my life. I only feel this way because my buddy is alive today due the guys he was riding with three weeks ago. If I offended someone .. I do aplogize. Your riding ability has nothing to do with it anymore..

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Powderhound, your write-up on that has made me rethink some things in my riding, especially always using my tether. People just have to have a certain responsibility level and you have to have mutual trust.

I have ridden with Fuzz (more than once) and I can guarantee that he will wear anyone and everyone out. For 78, the man can ride and he rides hard. His wife keeps up with him and does not get stuck as often as him. Fuzz, I can only hope that I ride as well as you do and I dream of doing it as long as you do. What are you up to Saturday? We might be up for a trip to Kings.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great topic, Hotlips!! :face-icon-small-coo

I prefer to ride with a group of 4 - 8 people. Ideally those who I believe that I can trust to be responsive in a crisis. I say "believe" instead of "know" because you can't really KNOW until the crisis is upon you. They must have all the safety gear we all consider to be "required" these days.

I'm happy to extend an invite to a newby. Whether said newby gets invited a second time is usually dependent on their attitude, more than their riding ability. I was a newby once (I feel like one this SEASON with only one ride so far) and I wouldn't be where I am today in terms of my ability and knowledge without someone else taking a chance on me.

I love riding with people that are better than me! I love to ride with a group that pushes the weaker riders to step up. It's one of the ways that I've continued to improve. In fact, now that I think about it.....Hotlips was one of the peeps. All those years ago on that hill that claimed 5 of us newby's in Halfway. Ahhhhh....sweet memories! :heart: :heart:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I will ride with anybody, at least once.
If I like the way you ride and the terrain we cover then I will go with you again. I don't care if they are a better rider than me or if I can teach them a few things. As long I know what kind of a ride it is going to be beforehand I can have fun.

My biggest peave is someone that just takes off and you have to go find em everytime you turn around.

I'm one of those guys that relies on others to go sledding as I will not go riding alone, PERIOD. With that, I've gone out with Turbolover several times this season and got to give him a shout out for his patience. I grew up riding sleds, but that was in the late '70s to mid '80s, then spent 20 yrs in the Air Force and bought an '09 700 RMK in 2010. Prior to buying an '09 700 RMK in the fall of 2010, the last sled I rode was a '79 El Tigre, so you can imagine the learning curve I've been on with the 700 RMK. Right now, I'm still struggling with the carving to steer sled aspect of powder/mountain riding, especially on side hills and going down hill, but he's been great with that, but also tries to push my limits so I can get better. I'm also doing something about the learning by signing up for Dan Adams' clinic.
I also have to say Christopher was a huge help last season by taking a chance with me. He's a great guy to ride with.

I was hoping to attend Dan's clinic over New Years weekend so I could hopefully be better for the 4M ride next week, but the snow wasn't there and the avy danger was extreme at that time, so Dan canceled the class and I rescheduled for 2-4 March.

So again, THANK YOU Turbolover and Christopher.

Last edited:
Premium Features