• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

D
Mar 13, 2014
I have a G4 that I have exactly where I like it. But I like a very stiff predictable and precise sled. With that said any version of the G4 or G5 is very capable. T-Motion has just become the canned response. Have spent some time on a G5 and it's nasty for sure. But they still have room to improve. For example torsion springs, you have this advanced sled with cheap torsion springs that add a second element to suspension tuning. The front end needs to be in line also. For me the G5 would still need a bunch of changes for me to get it how I wanted it.

W
Mar 6, 2019
I put toms shocks on the front of my 23 expert and took the sway bar off, its easier to initiate turns with the 23 compared to my g4 by a ton, I just barely push with my feet and its tipping. Was pretty surprised riding it down the trail with the shocks on 1, skis at 34 and no sway bar it felt good cornering also.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You wont here this from polaris riders but it shows how one gets use to a sled, riding the sled requires more input and strength, it is planted as well and great for sidehilling. It is the reason they made the kaos with a limiter strap that adjust and now it is the new sled of choice for many and being cool even though it is a detuned rmk, we often have dealers ride all the sleds and on the polaris many of them are tired by noon but on the doo they can ride right through the day, Again this is not a hit on polaris, there sled works awesome and of course guys who ride them won't agree but it is because they are use to it. So the same holds true with the expert, if you ride it you will say it is not more work and works awesome, it is the ability to get use to something and as you build the strength and amount to pull it, then you do and after a day your use to it, again no right or wrong, just different.
I rode Ski-doos for 30 years before switching to Polaris in 2013. The Doo without T-Motion is more Polaris like. This is good for deep snow and steep sidehills but it does require more work in crappy conditions. So how can this be over-come? Now that Doo has more power you don't need more track length. I am certain that if you rode a 175 for 2022, you would do just as well on a 165 for 2023. This weight reduction along with the sled being a lighter design will offset that planted feeling. Having 185 HP will spin that smaller track so fast it will feel much lighter (and it is). traction will still be great as it has lugs fully 16" wide now. Now for Spring riding, throw in a T-motion arm. The track is still stiff to the edges but now you will have the best of both worlds.

I am watching closely because I like Ski-Doo, I just didn't like the direction they took the last few years with all the weight they gained since 2008. Finally they are listening and luckily you can order what you like.

Last edited:
S

saurus

Nov 1, 2014
Canada
Good info in this thread! Swap the arm out and give it another go! It's a lot less hassle than selling and buying a new sled!

like Christopher and Dave I am finding the G5 Expert requires more effort to initiate a turn compared the G4. Maybe I am getting older :/

For the G5 Expert in low snow conditions, to reduce the effort when initiating a turn or getting it on edge what do people think would make the most difference:

- switching out the fixed arm for T-Motion (as on the X & Freeride)
- switching out the track for Flex Edge track (as on the X/Freeride)
- something else ??

Also would more center shock preload help make it tip easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Is everyone that thinks they take more effort comparing to a 22 expert with 34. T motion and flex edge? That would be a given. If comparing to earlier sleds with a 36 inch front end, I would think the 34 would compensate.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
like Christopher and Dave I am finding the G5 Expert requires more effort to initiate a turn compared the G4. Maybe I am getting older :/

For the G5 Expert in low snow conditions, to reduce the effort when initiating a turn or getting it on edge what do people think would make the most difference:

- something else ??

T-motion x 169.00 bucks bolts right in , and try the ds 3 skis buy a complete set and sell if you don't like , but think you might, either way you could keep both to put on sled when you sell or sell them and recoup your cost. and yes soften the entire suspension if your on 3 got to 3 in fronts and soften the rear as well. try it!!

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Only the Expert has Tmotion XT , full rod track , every other summit, summit x, freeride, sp and edge have t-motion x and flex edge.

Do you have the part number for what a guy needs? When I look up the parts I don't get the $169.00
Thanks
Norona is still looking up the DESS part numbers for me that I asked for a couple weeks ago. ☹️

D
Dec 22, 2018
I have a G4 that I have exactly where I like it. But I like a very stiff predictable and precise sled. With that said any version of the G4 or G5 is very capable. T-Motion has just become the canned response. Have spent some time on a G5 and it's nasty for sure. But they still have room to improve. For example torsion springs, you have this advanced sled with cheap torsion springs that add a second element to suspension tuning. The front end needs to be in line also. For me the G5 would still need a bunch of changes for me to get it how I wanted it.

What do you gain with removing torsion springs? How are they outdated? Only thing I can figure out is to adjust rear shock preload more precisely, but to be honest most riders don´t understand anything about shocks or suspension anyway. None of my buddies riding Polaris have never touched the preload of their rear suspension. Its more about suspension geometry and shock calibration if the suspension works or not.

All the race sleds with latest tech and innovations still use torsion springs (except Lynx). Maybe internet experts should give a call to race departments to get rid of outdated torsion springs, if they are too stupid not to figure it out themselves.

Torsion springs are easy to adjust, use the multitool that comes with sled to set torsion springs for your own weight and riding style between #1 - #5. Quick&easy.

What I see is this common phrase rolling around internet, complaining about torsion springs but nobody has any actual points or facts what are the benefits and why its outdated.

I see lots of people complain about sag. Well if you dont like ride height of your sled, adjust your torsion springs to whatever harder position and your riding height should change to fit your needs.

Afterall its all about how it works in real life. In my opinion, ski-doo has nailed the combination of weight transfer, ski lift and climbing ability. Fun sleds to ride but still very capable. Very difficult combination to achieve.

D
Dec 22, 2018

- something else ??

Maybe first thing is to learn master counter steering and balancing your weight on the boards properly. But these are things to go in my opinion if you are willing to try:

1. Try first to disconnect your sway bar and set front shocks preload to #1
2. Change your ski stance to narrow position. Personally I like to keep them centered but this helps a bit
3. If this doesn´t help enough you can also cut your skis 1" narrower
4. Buy g5 t-motion rear arm
5. Maybe the expert isnt sled for you and edge meets your needs better

That being said, many people on forums and fb are buying xt rigid arm. Im sure somebody will sell g5 t-motion arm for cheap if you keep your eyes open

Premium Features