• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850: "Second Ride" Review

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm at 8 hours on my 850 x 174. It seems to spin the track equally to my last sled which was a 16 with a 163 2.6" lug. the 16 also was geared, clutched and had a SLP pipe/can.

Rode my 19 side by side with buddies new 2018 AXYS too and the 800 clearly hits much harder on the bottom end. The 850 is easier to control with the softer start and therefore will trench less. IMHO. As RPMs rise the 850 takes off where the 800 falls back.

I will be clutching the 850 a bit more aggressively now as I do like that seat of the pants acceleration of the 800.

The 19 Doo was also there and it is a torquey beast for sure but wallows around way too much for my liking. Already had another buddy with a 19 Doo blow his first belt at 4.5 days in. Supposively the pipes have been updated too to match their race pipes so the doo might have a bit more HP this season.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BcCPR7hQHCk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
shoot. I should have opted for the 550 Fan 155 2.6 RMK... I'm going to spin my track way to much with this 850 at sea level :face-icon-small-dis

You guys with snow should go ride... I'll man the keyboard until the snow shows up here! time to go buy some beers haha... cheers :beer;:beer;

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
This thread is weird. With racing anything....you can set something (car ,sled, bike, whatever) up to holeshot well even if it has a power disadvantage. BUT, the power disadvantage will always always rear its head somewhere.

A track that spins on hardpack could possibly be a good deep powder track, a suspension that doesn't hook well from a dig could possibly still work well for hill climbing, low gearing or clutching will give up top end, yada yada.

Lets be real an skip all the sillyness tho.....all else equal, a stock or stage kit sled ain't beating a half-ass or better turbo. Nay

What this has to do with 850 initial impressions? No idea. I haven't seen Polaris or anyone else on this forum who claimed this would be a turbo killer. If anyone thought a stock 170hp sled was going to feel like a turbo, they would be setting up for disappointment. Doesn't sound like OP was expecting that, but it keeps coming up.

So far reviews from SC clients have been awesome. Just had a great rider in here this morning ranting about the engine and front end changes. I am surprised to hear anyone finding the front end "not that noticeable"....it was immediately apparent to me....first sidehill. Again what is the expectation I suppose....if you're thinking snow bike, you're gonna fall short.

There have been some complaints that it runs super rich until you get further into/beyond break in...but outside of that people seem to be loving it. Just need more snow.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
How come nobody posts there track length and lug height with there review would also be helpful. Some reviews are saying less bottom end but if the top end is more this take some away from the bottom end feel also. IMO smooth is fast and heavy hitters on shift get beat every time.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
850 is over-clutched, at least in the 6-8k factory set ups. A basic SLP clutch kit (spring and weights) will do you right.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
If the new engine lasts like a 13-16 Doo or the old school Cat it should be a winner. The internals are all there.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so less low end and more top end... sounds like its right in there with my 17 mountaincat :face-icon-small-coo.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
so less low end and more top end... sounds like its right in there with my 17 mountaincat :face-icon-small-coo.
Should be able to tune and clutch to improve this. Longer stroke promotes torque. Interested to see how this evolves with the first stroke over 70mm since the 900 Dragon.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Steer subject back on track..
My only real complaints of the Poo chassis...
Tow hooks/boot locks
And way to narrow running boards for men’s size boots
Did they improve on that yet?
Haven’t the 19s yet in person

Oh and Kanedog keep up the good work!
Huge fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features