• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-12' 800 Pro Reliability

11-12' Pro 800 Engine Failure

• Engine Failure - Piston Related (rings, skirt, etc.)

Votes: 74 7.9%
  • Engine Failure - Cylinder Related (cylinder skirt, etc.)

Votes: 60 6.4%
  • Engine Failure - Crank Related

Votes: 63 6.7%
  • No Major Failure - 0-1000 miles

Votes: 365 39.0%
  • No Major Failure - 1000-2500 miles

Votes: 256 27.3%
  • No Major Failure - 2500+ miles

Votes: 119 12.7%

• Total voters
T

tlm700

Dec 30, 2007
moses lake wa.
806 and blown

806 miles when mine went, just like papbyrd pictures just the pto cylinder instead, just got home from the first ride with the new motor complements of polaris. Time to summerize and put here away. wonder how many miles I will get next year before she BLOWS???

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Just got to say it. 16% of major failures for a small sample group is scary. I sure hope something changes for next year. Looking like a lot of 12's are going down now where it was mostly the 11's earlier.

I don't want to be "whinning" about my 13 next spring.

Maybe, just maybe the 12's have the same issues as the 11's and only needed to see a few miles on them. I know somebody is going to say what it is just over hyped and over blown internet hype or anti-hype but post a similar thread in the Pro Climb or XP forum. I don't mean clutch problems and such. Belt issues are crappy but if you have a spare one you can get out backwoods. Not many guys carrying a spare motor in their backpack as far as I know. You can only compare motors and the related issues. I don't think you would see as high of a number as we do in the Poo-Pro forum. That honestly would settle the issue of "Does Polaris have a motor problem?" Some people on here are stating that we should just accept it as NORMAL. I don't think it is normal, maybe it's Polaris-normal but not normal-normal.

Last edited:
T

tlm700

Dec 30, 2007
moses lake wa.
burn down

so I wanna be included in the law suit if it ever comes to that!! I sure dont want to loose my *** over purchasing my first polaris, It will be the end of snowmobiling for me!!

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
A class action lawsuit for a known defective product is an option we Polaris owners do have.....

15 - 20% failure rate is unacceptable by any measure.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
How did the class action work out for the dragon owners or the 900 guys ?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I was always a polaris guy this year i bought the old outdated m sled. At this time i would like to thank all those that sold and are selling there m sleds cheap to buy the pros.

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
Sorry but have to tell you another pro in our group lost it's engine today un known cause 700 miles. Sorry kurt but glad you were able to get out of there.

Thats me, 774 miles on my 11, looked at the pto piston today, looks like i lost a ring, little tiny ping holes on the dome, which i also think got some metal down lower, thinking it got a skirt too, this is bullchit, i had the dragon, lost its motor at 550 miles, rode a cat for a year no problems, then bought a pro and now this, i want an etec or a 10' m8 ho in this chassie, liberty motors suck, we were in a deep hole when it happened, luckily i was able to get out on one cylinder, thankfully it was frozen spring snow, if it was powder, we woulda been screwed, polaris needs to get there chit together.

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
I'm not going to argue it with any one but i have seen a few go down this year. some do some dont.

--Correction--

some have -- most haven't yet

--Two OEM CFI engine categories

- those that have blown up
-those that are going to blow up

--Realistically, that is how you have to look at it

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Interesting

I've been following this (and many other threads), as I snowchecked a 2013 ProRMK 600 for my wife - first polaris sled in the house since the TXL. My take on the "defective" motor is this: I believe the internet blows things out of proportion, and that you likely don't have accurate statistics (people posting about a machine they don't even own).
There has been numerous threads about polaris 800 reliability, but there has also been numerous threads about ski-doo 800r and cat m1000 engines over the years. Half of the failures can be attributed to modifying these powerplants, and not correcting fuel and ignition mapping issues. Most of the engines built today are dangerously lean due to EPA regulations, and NO TWO engines are identical - this stuff is mass produced and assembled with parts being provided by more then one vendor in most cases. In the last 10 years we have seen substantially "cleaner" engines that are making considerably more power then thier predecessors. I think it's safe to say that the manufacturer's have done well (for the most part). Of course, as soon as these machines are modified (even just a can), we are quick to blame the manufacturer and demand warranty when the product fails. I am not defending the "big 4", but some failures can be attributed to operator use, poor pre delivery inspection, and improper break in procedure. I've been fortunate that I've never had an engine failure over the years, but I also replace rings every 1800 miles on my two-stokes without fail, and ensure they have sufficient lubrication. Oil is cheap, especially when comparing it to downtime without a sled. Would I be choked if my new sled broke in the first season? Likely. Do I go over the new machine prior to riding it? You bet your life I do - helicopter rides out of the backcountry are pricey. In the end it boils down to having a good dealer that will look after you in a bind, and go to bat for you with the manufacturer. But the best way to inform a manufacturer of a problem is by voting with your wallet - if they aren't selling sleds, they will address problems. I am not brand loyal in any way, shape, or form, and my purchases reflect this.

T

tlm700

Dec 30, 2007
moses lake wa.
oneoldfart

just wait till it happens too you! "Oh wait it wont happen to you your not buying a 800" not all of us are stupid! I am 51 years old and have been a motor head for 40 of them years. my sled gernaded all on its own! it gets all the special care you can imagine, and is totally stock! It lasted 806 miles running great till I shut it off and restarted it! May be you shouldnt comment on this till it happens to you! I am sure you will look at this subject differently Then!!

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
just wait till it happens too you! "Oh wait it wont happen to you your not buying a 800" not all of us are stupid! I am 51 years old and have been a motor head for 40 of them years. my sled gernaded all on its own! it gets all the special care you can imagine, and is totally stock! It lasted 806 miles running great till I shut it off and restarted it! May be you shouldnt comment on this till it happens to you! I am sure you will look at this subject differently Then!!

Both perspectives are valid. If your engine blew up your pissed and convinced they are ALL junk. If you, like me, have never had a Polaris 800 engine fail, and I have owened a few, then there isn't much of a problem.

Take a pill! LOL

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It is all internet hype that is why they are changing the 13s . If you do not think there is a issue than keep it and ride it with out a warranty . Cancer is a hype also smoke don't smoke it can still happen . Stock sleds are going down just like modded ones.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
--Correction--

some have -- most haven't yet

--Two OEM CFI engine categories

- those that have blown up
-those that are going to blow up

--Realistically, that is how you have to look at it

you could make the same statement about any two stroke motor regardless of brand. actually, you could make the same statement about any motor, ever made. not defending polaris's 800 issues in any way as there are some but there are a number of sleds with thousands of miles on them. the pro cfi2 is a big improvement over the cfi4 and the 13 with thicker cylinder walls will be an improvement over the 11 & 12 motors. hopefully the improvements will continue.

pv

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
If Poo 800 motors had no more or less problems than Scud's and Cat's then we wouldn't be even having this conversation. They would all be on the same level of reliability so nobody would be asking for more from Polaris. Why would people be even thinking about going back to AC or SD if their engines were no better?

I have had numerous Polaris and yes I even had a 900 and actually loved it after I spent thousands of my own dollars. Had a Dragon with no issues...only had 342 miles though. But to have the Pro rings and pistons look like crap after 1000 miles due to lack of lubrication or the washing clean of lubrication by the injectors is plain crap. They last just long enough to get through EPA testing and that's about it. Two strokes need lube. These are not getting enough or not getting it where it's needed.

For somebody to turn a blind eye to an issue because it hasn't happened to them (yet) is sad. We Americans are becoming fairly unsympathetic. I was going to put in an example but it would do no good. If it doesn't effect us, we believe it won't or it never happened.

So...for those of you that haven't had a failure, good luck. I hope you never have a problem. If you do, it's just hype.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
you could make the same statement about any two stroke motor regardless of brand. actually, you could make the same statement about any motor, ever made. not defending polaris's 800 issues in any way as there are some but there are a number of sleds with thousands of miles on them. the pro cfi2 is a big improvement over the cfi4 and the 13 with thicker cylinder walls will be an improvement over the 11 & 12 motors. hopefully the improvements will continue.

pv

--Alot of low mileage(less than 3k miles) Pros out there -- very concerning-- Polaris CFI motors have not proven themselves sufficiently reliable. Should not the engine be able to last up to and past its first scheduled top end rebuild?

-- Many have not blown up yet, but which ones are about too? If someone wants to ride a OEM Pro in our group, realistically, we have to be prepared for it to happen. That affects the gear we carry and the places we may ride.

--I still may get a Pro for my son, but it will have the following installed within the first 300-400 miles
--Oil pump turned up -- before first ride
--Drop in piston kit -- RKT with head and pistons so no fuel worries

Premium Features