• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha new M9 ski...any info?

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
Any one know the width of the new M9 ski they are suppose to offer this fall? When will it be available and how wide is it? Someone has to know this info so give us something....is it worth waiting for or not?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
i remember reading an article about skis and why you dont see the new sleds get new skis very often. It comes down to patent rights, and since there isn't very many ways to build a ski, its rare that you'll see the big 4 change them very much.

R

Rx1ton

Jan 2, 2008
Columbia Falls MT.
A friend of mine is trying out a pair on his Nytro. So far he seems to like them. If I remember right when I measured them the front was 9" at the widest point, and the center section was 7". They are very light.

P

pokerplayer1

Mar 23, 2009
Bend, Or
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is a post by Roest Racing on TY 4-stroke this morning.

maxdlx wrote:
Man I gotta get a set of those

You might want to save your money. Pokerplayer1 and I have been testing these skis the last 2 rides we have been out. We are comparing them against the OEM Yamaha mountain ski. We have tested them both on groomed trail, set up snow, and deep powder. The test sleds were an 09 XTX and MTX. Testing was done with swaybars in and out, played with limiter straps, and shock settings, and spring preloads. The OEM mountain ski is by far the winner. The problems of the MT9 are as follows.

1. In loose snow and slow speeds the MT9 does not want to turn, it just pushes forward and plows.

2. In deep powder it is very hard to get the sled up on its side to carve, and once it's there it wants to go back down. It turned my MTX into an absolute bear to handle in the deep stuff. The ski IMO is just too large.

3. In wet snow the blow molded plastic did not slide as well. The resistance was noticeable.

4. On the groomed trail it feels good but lacks bite for the corners.

5. The only scenario where it might be superior is in deep powder going straight. Flotation is great then, but everything goes sideways from there if you try and turn or change direction.

It will be be interesting to see what other people think once they have actually tried them, but our conclusion is that they are a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
Premium Features