• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ethanol Switch!!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Here's my solution to the under-the-hood-wire locating-remembering which color-and weather to plug-them-together or leave-them fiasco! Actually someone else suggested it on another thread (sorry I can't remember who), but this is what mine looks like:

I'm still working on better lettering though.

IMG_0192.jpg

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That looks good, and I thought about that but is it that hard to reach under the hood and unplug a wire? It's not like you are changing the setting that often. I typically top off my oil when I get fuel so it is not really hard to plug or unplug.

It is getting to the point here in Colorado where it is hard to even find non-oxygenated fuel.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
That looks good, and I thought about that but is it that hard to reach under the hood and unplug a wire? It's not like you are changing the setting that often. I typically top off my oil when I get fuel so it is not really hard to plug or unplug.

It is getting to the point here in Colorado where it is hard to even find non-oxygenated fuel.

Where is the plug at? Just got a new 09 dragon.

151Viper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Larimore, ND
Does anyone else have pics of their switch install? I am just looking for options before I put one on mine.

L

Lano

Dec 15, 2007
Buffalo, MN
Switch w/ LED

I copied the idea from Ron as well. I bought a switch from O'reillys Auto store with an LED light in the switch. I will try to post a picture today.

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
do you guys get fuel from different places often enough to warrant a switch?
my local gas station has the same fuel most of the time(no change between eth. and non-eth.)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Great thinking on this...

Some thoughts to ponder..

I'd use some kind of a locking switch for this...

Too easy to bump this switch and change your map... Not sure if you are supposed to be switching this with the sled running... ECU damage??

I'd put a small aviation lift/lock spst switch for this on the clutch cover plastic... no need to have this accessable while riding.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Great thinking on this...

Some thoughts to ponder..

I'd use some kind of a locking switch for this...

Too easy to bump this switch and change your map... Not sure if you are supposed to be switching this with the sled running... ECU damage??

I'd put a small aviation lift/lock spst switch for this on the clutch cover plastic... no need to have this accessable while riding.

ha damnit i guess some one thought of this before, i brought it up on snow and mud about adding a switch. i got the idea from my cousins F7 that had a factory premium ethanol switch.

i would agree with you about a aviation locking one, but i was going to put the switch under hood on the back of the plastic cover on the clutch cover. I guess its easy to do plug and un plug and theres no accidental hitting the switch but it looks trick and cleaner.

im still not 100% on this, one is pink one is black with a blue stripe........do you plug them together for ethanol fuel? or what?

i mainly want to do this because i run premium all the time but in case i cant get it and its the 10% ethanol regular i would like to switch it on the fly till i get a full tank of premium again

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I ended up moving my switch to the center of the extra belt holder under the hood. As someone stated in an earlier post, it just doesn't get used that much and it's just as easy to lift the hood a bit and flip the switch. I like it there a whole lot better. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

S
Nov 17, 2009
Everett, Wa.
What is the white with the brown stripe for with the ethanol wires? I would think that they could be mixed up easy! Is that wire to richen it up 5% maybe?

There is no other loose wire with the ethanol wires; they are all in connectors. Also to my knowledge Polaris does not use white with a brown tracer. There is a white with orange in one of the connectors near the ethanol wires and brown with a white tracer is used sometimes for dc ground.
Are you at the ethanol wires? Right behind the spare belt cover up against the bulkhead.
Can you take a picture? Best if you can is a wide angle view to show general location and then a closeup.

Premium Features