• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

would you ride in a travel trailer mounted on a flatbed truck

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
I have a gmc 3500 diesel dually chassis cab that I would like to put on a 14 foot living quarters. The prices I have found for this type of custom work is super high. I would also like the option of removing the living quarters and using the truck as a flatbed. I can buy a new travel trailer that is pretty close to what I want for about $10,000. I do plan on cutting a pass through in back of the cab no matter which way I go. What do you think, would it be safe to ride in a travel trailer bolted to a flatbed?

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
done correctly it would be more rigid than the trailer itself, less flex. the pass thru would be tricky but could be done, if you make a skid to bolt the trailer to you could suck it up on the truck like a garbage container, now that would be slick, couple rails and a couple rollers and a snatch block and a 12k lb warn winch would do it easy:beer;:beer;

I
Oct 29, 2001
Central WA
If you have ever seen what happens to a truck camper or a travel trailer when they roll over, you wouldn't even be thinking about letting anyone ride in what you are setting up!

Those things explode into a pile of tooth picks!

W

wildcard

RIP Brian
Nov 26, 2001
Motorhomes do not stand up much if any better than do trailers. 20 some odd years of cutting people out of wrecks to back up my opinion.
There is a guy who comes up every years with a semi that has a big trailer conversion on it and it looks pretty good.
Why do you not want to put a flatbed on it and get a slide off camper ready made and cheaper?

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
My flatbed will be 12 or 14 foot long, never saw a truck camper made for anything but 8 foot bed.

Nice truck campers are pretty high priced also if you go Lance or Bigfoot that work in winter.

But I am thinking about going with a truck camper and putting a 4 foot sleeper attached to the cab which would leave an 8 foot bed.

Premium Features