PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Flooring Question

Rocky
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I've had a couple enclosed trailers, one with LineX and the other is the new Mirage plastic coated floor. Both worked well, each has differences IMO.

I am looking at a gooseneck race trailer I can use for other hobbies and I notice several have the "black coin rubber flooring". I've seen flooring before in Featherlite Race Car Haulers, etc.and they appeared to hold up well to race fuel, degreasers, brake cleaner, water, dirt, etc..

They say it's layed on the plywood floor in one piece, no seams. I guess a guy could just use SLP skins or ski boots, knowing a carbide would probably cut into the hard rubber. Since it's a gooseneck, I'd have to drag them out the back or use the dolly. Do you think you could hose it out still, broom out the snow and ice, mop it on a warm day etc? It looks really nice and appears to be very durable. I know it's a pricey option, that's for sure.

Anyone seen this used in the snowmobile world? Any thoughts or comments?
I figured somebody on here would surely have an opinion! LMAO

Thanks.

MtnDoo
11-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey Tim,

If it's rubber/plastic, I'd be concerned that spilling the typical oil/grease etc would create a bananna peel effect.

I've been looking at a marine-grade adhesive gel coat that is used to texture fiberglass boat decks - since it would have some grip, and be easily hosed down. It would definitely require ski boots though.

I think I'm going to end up doing diamond-plate with mats and place some of the clear marine gel-texture in the traction areas.

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/photos/photo187.jpg

Best of luck!

MD.

Ski-Laxn
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM
The blackdot flooring is very nice and the chemicals arn't the issue the skegs are though and will cut it.

Dogmeat
12-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I know this has been asked 7 billion times before...

but why will Rhino Liner sprayed on thick NOT work?

I mean yeah your carbides will eventually cut it, but is that really a bad thing? I mean even with that mirage flooring eventually my carbides are gonna wear that out ...

I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days, and it has the plain wood flooring, and after slipping sliding, having to get running starts just to load the damn sleds, etc, it's making my Mirage look more appealing all the time...

donbrown
12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I know this has been asked 7 billion times before...

but why will Rhino Liner sprayed on thick NOT work?

I mean yeah your carbides will eventually cut it, but is that really a bad thing? I mean even with that mirage flooring eventually my carbides are gonna wear that out ...

I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days, and it has the plain wood flooring, and after slipping sliding, having to get running starts just to load the damn sleds, etc, it's making my Mirage look more appealing all the time...

The Rino coating is expensive. The best and most durable deal is a marine-grade fiberglass and add sand for traction. Very durable.

You can buy a truck bed liner for $20 at the junk yard and make tracks or cut out a section the size of a ski and strap it to the ski and slide it around without hurting the carbides or trailer floor.

MtnDoo
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Dogmeat - lots of way to do this of course.

I got a quote for $2K to put in Rino lining - and to know that that floor was going to get trashed - forget it. Ski boots do the trick, but get old - especially when it's cold. I don't mind investing in good flooring material, but I'd be more apt to invest if I know it's not going to get trashed.

;-)

2mileshigh
12-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Put rino liner on my enclose, very tuff and easy to clean.

Bagger
12-27-2007, 03:16 AM
[QUOTE=I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days, and it has the plain wood flooring, and after slipping sliding, having to get running starts just to load the damn sleds, etc, it's making my Mirage look more appealing all the time...[/QUOTE]

DM, I've got a Charmac and was tired of the exact same things. This summer I spent 50 bucks for a two part epoxy garage floor paint kit. It's light grey.
A couple of buddies donated old truck bed liners they had laying around, and I cut runners out of it.

I've already spilled oil and gas on the floor :(, no problems, and the sleds load so much easier with the bed liner it just about makes me laugh everytime I load them!

Total was about three afternoon of work. Sure was worth it! Bagger

Rocky
12-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a trailer that has the front/cabinet area in the grey dot floor. I'm going to just put rubber backed mats here, as this is the area we're in/out of the most. The remainder of the trailer was done in diamond plate flooring. I'm going with marine grade gray carpet for this year. I'm thinking of having it LineX'd over the summer. I think it will bond with the aluminum and should wear just fine. Agree?

I got too good of a deal on this brand new gooseneck, only thing wrong is the floor for sledding.

Sunridge Sledhead
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I just put some garage flooring in an exercise room in my house. While I was messing with my trailer I snapped a few together on the floor. 300.00 later and my trailer floor is killer, holds up to harsh chemicals, and doesn't hold ice. The diamond plate pattern makes it not too slippery.

At Costco between 79.99-114.00 a box, depending on if it's on sale.

http://http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&search=garage%20flooring&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage%20flooring&Ntt=garage%20flooring&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Beels
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I just put some garage flooring in an exercise room in my house. While I was messing with my trailer I snapped a few together on the floor. 300.00 later and my trailer floor is killer, holds up to harsh chemicals, and doesn't hold ice. The diamond plate pattern makes it not too slippery.

http://http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&search=garage%20flooring&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage%20flooring&Ntt=garage%20flooring&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Link doesn't work

ndmtnsledder
12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|49244|49248&N=4014101&Mo=3&pos=1&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=49248&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10619-Cat49244&topnav=

Not sure if this link will work or if its what he was talking about. If the link doesn't work go to www.costco.com then Auto-Shop Equipment-Flooring and its called MotoFloor. Looks interesting. Sunridge Sledhead can you post pics of it in your trailer.

Dogmeat
12-28-2007, 12:50 PM
How do you do a V-nose with the CostCo stuff?

It looks like they come in square tiles.

Are you supposed to cut them to fit the nose?

Mortgage Paul
12-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Motofloor or Line-x or Rhino.

That rubber nub flooring sucks when snow falls off, melts around the nubs and turns into a thick sheet of ice and you can't scrape it out either. Even if you try to broom out the snow , its a PITA.

SLP ski skins are your friend too.

I've been wanting to do the motofloor thing since I saw it, just haven't had time.

dmkhnr
12-30-2007, 10:58 AM

It's on sale right now, $30 off a box.

Wyoming T/A
12-30-2007, 11:07 AM
i'm dooing carpet in the next week or so...

thinksnow
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I have carpet in mine and love it. I do however have access to a heated shop. Drop the front door and put a boxfan in it and leave the backdoor open a little. By morning everything is totally dry.

Ski skins are always used. Even used them in my other trailers with nothing on the floor. My floors have always looked new when I sold them. I will never use ski guides again. They suck.LOL

Wyoming T/A
12-30-2007, 04:00 PM
mine can set in a heated shop for days if it needs to..:)

johndeere8420
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
We spent 1600.00 for Custom Linings.. It's a hot process and it works VERY VERY well. We are in our second season with sleds and there is not ONE scratch in the floor. It's better than the speedliner i have in my work pickup.

We took and cut up an old plastic bed liner for ski guides and track "traction strips" for the front and rear door... works sweet

We do however have to park trailer and sleds inside heated shop to melt everything off... floor does build up and become a scating rink after about a month of riding....

Treebender
12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a 4 place enclose trailer that I purchased new. I didn't like the idea of tearing up the original floor and tossed up the idea of plastic covering too. However, here in Mi. sleds with studs will tear up the plastic covering pretty quick. To make it easy, I just bought some pre-sanded 1/4" plywood and screwed it to the existing floor. To preserve the wood, I applied some waste oil and brushed it into the wood (it even gives the wood a nice, textured look). During initial sled start-ups for the day, skegs, studs are embeded into the wood, and with belt and tracks also cold, driving the sleds out the trailers seems to be hard on them, also the exhaust inside the trailer is a pain to deal with too. So, I just dolly the sleds in and out. It makes it so much easier to deal with. And no trailer liners to deal with. It never seems to be a problem getting people to help put the sleds on dollies to tow to the correct tie-down location.

BigRed118
01-03-2008, 01:06 AM
So is the only problem with Rhino or Arma coating just the price? I am interested in this and I might have a line on a discounted price. My trailer is 4 years old. What type of prep would I need to do?

trailtoy1993
01-03-2008, 03:20 AM
I use my rock buggy trailer when I need to haul all the sleds. Its a 26' Pace American with the Daytona package. Anyway, it had a linoleum floor in it and man that sucked! Little oil and it was a skating rink, add ice and it was hazardous to your health. All sleds had to be hauled out the back and the tracks would just spin and get zero traction while the carbides dug in tore up the surface. I tried bedliner tracks and screwed down some old track for grip but I still ended up with alot of lifting and pulling. This year I laid down 3/8th el cheapo plywood, I likey, tracks get enough grip to move sled, carbides slide but you can still steer in the trailer, win win. Ice really isn't a problem I just kick on the heat and melt everything, and the oil soaks in and doesn't make slippery. It only took about two hours to do, I figure I shall just rip it out come summer (to keep mold and rot away) and lay down new in winter, or same stuff depending on condition.

weantright
01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I was thinking of using Rino liner in my trailer but I didn't have the extra money. That year I used a trailer that had it in it and I am so glad I didn't. The sleds stuck to it and became a PITA to move. I Don't have any floor covering in mine and it still looks good after 4 years. I don't have any studded sled and the ski carbides don't tear it up much. I also treated the floor with a water sealer/oil to keep it looking new. The best I have seen is 1/4" plywood on top of the floor and replace it when it is all torn up. Cheap and easy!

Dunatic
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
I have seen Sunridges trailer, it looks really cool! the only thing I don't like about it is that it does not seal off the wood so water, oil, gas does not get on it. It would work great if you put a few coats of sealer on the wood before you put it in.

I have done a few trailers with Reflex liner, and after 3-4 years of sleds running across it, it does not show any wear on it at all, the carbides don't even leave a mark.

BigRed118
01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
On a used trailer, is there any specific preperation that I need to do before I get mine coated? I am going to seal any holes but do I need to clean the wood or seal it before I do this?

Supplicate
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
On a used trailer, is there any specific preperation that I need to do before I get mine coated? I am going to seal any holes but do I need to clean the wood or seal it before I do this?
If your floor has been treated (oiled, etc) you can't LineX it. The stuff goes on damned hot and if there is any moisture trapped in the wood it will bubble the LineX.

My dad had his new trailer LineXd last year and we put the polyurethane ski runners and track cleats in that you can get through WPS. Sleds load so easy it isn't funny. Last week when we were up in the uintahs we watched these guys have to try three times to get their sleds loaded into their trailer taking running starts. We just eased up to our trailer and crawled up the back because of the track cleats.

Its worth the extra expense to do it that way. Carpet is something I haven't considered, would work good between the ski runners and whatnot.

BigRed118
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Did you put the cleats on top of the Line-X or under the coating.

Supplicate
01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Did you put the cleats on top of the Line-X or under the coating.
Its all on top of the coating incase it needs to be replaced.

johndeere8420
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I was thinking of using Rino liner in my trailer but I didn't have the extra money. That year I used a trailer that had it in it and I am so glad I didn't. The sleds stuck to it and became a PITA to move. I Don't have any floor covering in mine and it still looks good after 4 years. I don't have any studded sled and the ski carbides don't tear it up much. I also treated the floor with a water sealer/oil to keep it looking new. The best I have seen is 1/4" plywood on top of the floor and replace it when it is all torn up. Cheap and easy!

Rino lining, line-x and speedliner all have the habbit of "grabbing" the skaggs making it tough. The custom linings is so hard that it doens't even have lines in it from the skis.... IT's AWESOME STUFF... Worth every DIME